CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2002 Eldorado

So I was looking in wikipedia and they said there was only 1596 Eldorados made in batches of 532 because it was the 50th anniversry. Here is what they said:

Not long after, GM announced that the Eldorado's 50th model year, 2002, would be its last. To mark the end of the historic name, a limited production run 1,596 of cars in red or white - the colors available on the original 1953 convertible - were produced in three batches of 532, signifying the Eldorado's first year of production. The last cars had exhausts that were specially tuned to imitate the note of their illustrious forerunners from a half-century earlier and dash-mounted plaques indicating each car's sequence in production.

Every 2002 that I have seen on the internet has not had anything on the dash. However, I did find one that said collectors edition and there was something stitched into the seats if I remember right.

My question is, were there regular Eldorados made and then these special ones too?

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

To be honest, I dont know the answer to your question.

1596 may sound like alot of cars. It really isnt..

I suspect the last 1596 cars built for (eldorado) 2002 were the special package.

Most GM plants are tooled to build at least a 1000 cars per day based on 2 shift, 60 cars per hour line rate.

So the 1596 equals 1.5 days of vehicle production.

But, that being said. The Eldo is certainly not a 400K per year production car. Taurus, Lumina, Silverrado being good examples.

I'm thinking maybe 60-70k Eldorados per year. GM seems to loose interest at this level of production.

Figure 220 production days per year. 318 cars per day. Could be spread over one or 2 shifts depending on the labor math/cost.

So the last 1596 2002 Eldorado's could have been built in the last 5 day window of production.

That leaves another 210 days of production for non-special production cars. Maybe 65,000 cars. So plenty of standard Eldos floating around.

The special edition, if I'm doing my math correctly, is 2%.

I think the last few years of Eldo came out of Lansing. UAW 602. After that..they were doing the Chevrolet CCR product,

They certainly made more then 1592 2002 Cadillac Eldorados. Maybe more like 65-70k of them. Even that guess may be high..

Most people dont understand, most car plants pump out 1000 cars per day. It's really something to see...alot of cars..

Anyway...today watched a show about Hyundai in Alabama...they are building cars the exact same way Saturn has been doing for 15 years. Robots etc. Most of the manufacturing issues are done. Now its styling and brand that will sell the car.

Yes they are different from regular 2002 Eldos. They are only ETC's, they only come in Red or white, Thier interiors are two tone. Look at this one, you will see the difference,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Commemorait...tem220217118746

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! I wish I could get my hands on one of them.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Archived