CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

SRX Tire Sizes

Zdld17

Morning Guys,, I have a question concerning the tire sizes on my SRX. Larger 255x60x17 rear and 235x65x17 in front. Rollout measurments are the same. Other than looks, does anyone know why Cadillac set this up this way. All other vehicles that I have seen are the same.

When purchasing tires, I must get two sizes. Owners manual states tire rotations should be done in the X procedure. This does not look good at all. I am asking , is there any reason why I can't have 4 tires the same size? Anyone?

On the "OTHER" forum... a lot of people change to all four tires of the same size. Rotations can then be done correctly and tire mileage increased. With different sizes you can't rotate in the X pattern. Only SIDE to SIDE on the SAME axle.

I don't recall seeing any adverse reports about all four being the same size.

Not telling YOU to .... but if it was MINE...

I would change to all of them being the same size the next time I needed tires.

Posted Image

On the "OTHER" forum... a lot of people change to all four tires of the same size. Rotations can then be done correctly and tire mileage increased. With different sizes you can't rotate in the X pattern. Only SIDE to SIDE on the SAME axle.

I can't help on your SRX tire size question, but I do have a comment on the X rotation for radial tires. This will probably start a heated debate.

In my tire related experience (and that is a LOT), I have found that rotating radial tires in the X pattern gives less satisfactory results than changing them front to back & back to front on the same sides. We had several cases of belt separation following an X style tire rotation. The vehicles that had the tires that stayed on the same side of the vehicle had markedly less belt and wear issues and normally got 5 to 10 thousand more miles before requiring replacement.

The above is my experience. There are people who will take issue with that & say that today's radials can be successfully rotated in the X method. I always reply that the tires are theirs, and they can rotate them however they choose. However, on MY vehicle, I will continue to keep my tires on the same side. Heaven forbid that I get a vehicle that has two different tire sizes!

Of course you could have a Corvette or similar vehicle that has tires that are not only different from front to rear, but directional as well. Those tires would have to be dismounted and then remounted to switch sides on the same axle!

As I said above. My experience has shown me that we got better results keeping the tires on the same side of the vehicle.

Take Care,

Britt

Britt

I can't help on your SRX tire size question, but I do have a comment on the X rotation for radial tires. This will probably start a heated debate.

In my tire related experience (and that is a LOT), I have found that rotating radial tires in the X pattern gives less satisfactory results than changing them front to back & back to front on the same sides. We had several cases of belt separation following an X style tire rotation. The vehicles that had the tires that stayed on the same side of the vehicle had markedly less belt and wear issues and normally got 5 to 10 thousand more miles before requiring replacement.

The above is my experience. There are people who will take issue with that & say that today's radials can be successfully rotated in the X method. I always reply that the tires are theirs, and they can rotate them however they choose. However, on MY vehicle, I will continue to keep my tires on the same side. Heaven forbid that I get a vehicle that has two different tire sizes!

Of course you could have a Corvette or similar vehicle that has tires that are not only different from front to rear, but directional as well. Those tires would have to be dismounted and then remounted to switch sides on the same axle!

As I said above. My experience has shown me that we got better results keeping the tires on the same side of the vehicle.

Take Care,

Britt

All understood well, I have already ordered the two differant sizes . At this point , I will only look at swapping side to side as recommended by Discount and not X'ing them as I have on all other cars. I am beginning to believe that this factory tire arrangement was only for looks and not associated with the "magnetic steering option?". I could not get a good reason from the Caddy dealer as this was a late program car and question never came up then. Goodyear tires only got about 15-20k miles on them but are worn, wear bar is beginning to show. I could not find a recommended Mich tire with a decent wear rating ( 330-440), but in that category were the Continental tires with a very hi 680AA rating not to mention they were about 60-80$ cheaper, each. I was assured complete satisfaction on these, if not, well I will go back to Mich, what I always use. I have had no issues with the Conti tires. Thanks for all comments.

Take Care,

Britt

Britt,

I agree totally. I never "X" rotate my tires. ALWAYS front to rear and rear to front, keeping the tires on the same side of the car. That way they are still rotating the same direction.

I too have had belt issues when the tires were "X" without me knowing about it.

My Dad was in the tire business most of my life. I hope I learned a little bit from him. He always said to keep them on the same side.

Posted Image

Archived