CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Overheating – happy conclusion

Itzhaky

First, thanks to Ranger, JimD and BodybyFisher. All three of you suggested checking the purge line, which was clogged. Cleaned it and it helped a little. The mechanic changed the water pump (I think) and put new thermostat. Didn’t help. Steam came out of the exhausts and water level went down after only a few miles. The mechanic wanted to change the head gasket at a cost of $1,000.00.

I got in touch with Fred Mannix from Bar’s Products, who treated my problem as if it was his own car’s problem. We had several exchanges and at the end I replaced the pressure cup of the overflow water tank, flushed the radiator and engine with Supper Flush and used Bar’s Head Gasket Sealant # 1100. And Eureka. Problem solved. 200 miles later the car maintain perfect temperature, no loss of coolant and no steam comes out of the exhausts.

Before changing your head gasket, I suggest you contact Fred at fmannix@barsproducts.com and discuss it with him.

And No, I am not employee of Bar’s Products and I get no referral commissions, but I did save $1,000.00. Thanks, Fred.

First, thanks to Ranger, JimD and BodybyFisher. All three of you suggested checking the purge line, which was clogged. Cleaned it and it helped a little. The mechanic changed the water pump (I think) and put new thermostat. Didn’t help. Steam came out of the exhausts and water level went down after only a few miles. The mechanic wanted to change the head gasket at a cost of $1,000.00.

I got in touch with Fred Mannix from Bar’s Products, who treated my problem as if it was his own car’s problem. We had several exchanges and at the end I replaced the pressure cup of the overflow water tank, flushed the radiator and engine with Supper Flush and used Bar’s Head Gasket Sealant # 1100. And Eureka. Problem solved. 200 miles later the car maintain perfect temperature, no loss of coolant and no steam comes out of the exhausts.

Before changing your head gasket, I suggest you contact Fred at fmannix@barsproducts.com and discuss it with him.

And No, I am not employee of Bar’s Products and I get no referral commissions, but I did save $1,000.00. Thanks, Fred.

It's possible that the pressure cap was bad and was the root of the problem.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

$1000 for a headgasket job? sweet. i wonder if the mechanic does other repairs for such a great price. i would have payed that price in a heartbeat if it included timeserting and all necessary parts.

True, but that wouldn't explain his steam from the exhaust. Unless of course it was cold out!

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

$1000 for a headgasket job? sweet. i wonder if the mechanic does other repairs for such a great price. i would have payed that price in a heartbeat if it included timeserting and all necessary parts.

That was NOT likely a timesert job!

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Steam can come out of the exhaust and have NOTHING to do with a coolant loss. Like Dusty said, it could have been moisture in the system. Did you smell the exhaust and actually smell coolant? If you DID have a coolant smell out of the exhaust don't get your hopes up, nothing fixes a head gasket other than replacing the head gasket.

AND.......IF you find you need a head gasket DO NOT take it to the $1000 mechanic till you speak to this board. THAT price is lower than WHALE dung.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Steam can come out of the exhaust and have NOTHING to do with a coolant loss. Like Dusty said, it could have been moisture in the system. Did you smell the exhaust and actually smell coolant? If you DID have a coolant smell out of the exhaust don't get your hopes up, nothing fixes a head gasket other than replacing the head gasket.

AND.......IF you find you need a head gasket DO NOT take it to the $1000 mechanic till you speak to this board. THAT price is lower than WHALE dung.

Yes, steam, fog, or whatever did come out of the exhausts and the smell of the burnt antifreeze was evident. Nothing is coming out now, no smell and no loss of antifreeze. I live in area where there are some stretches of clear driving and other stretches of stops and traffic lights every 3 blocks. My average MPH is 18 and my average MPG is 19. The car drives now like a new car. I am convinced the major problem was the pressure cup. And Yes, the mechanic did estimate the cost of replacing the head gasket at $1,000.00. So far I did about 200 miles and no problems. Temp varied between 197 and 222, depends on the speed. Average ambient temp is 65. I wonder what will happen when temp will go into the 80-90. That will be the real test.

True, but that wouldn't explain his steam from the exhaust. Unless of course it was cold out!

We don't know if the steam was water vapor - a product of combustion or coolant vapors.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived