CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

extended warranty question

JH 50

Hello all.....Well it didn't work out with the 2002 SLS that I was looking at.

I did find 2 better options at a Caddy dealership an hour away, however. One is a 2002 STS with 27,000 miles (asking $23,000) and the other is 2001 STS with 33,000 miles (asking $22,000). The 2001 has a CD changer and sunroof and Bose. I am going to go Saturday to test drive both and price haggle.

My question is this: Should I spring for the "certified warranty". I was told that it will cost an extra $1,400.00 for the 6 years/100,000 miles ....from the date the car was put into service. The 2002 has 2 years left on the factory warranty and the 2001 has 14 months. Is the price worth it? From what I read here, big problems start to occur later on down the line. In reality I would get 2 extra years on the 2002 (when the factory warranty runs up) and 2 on the 2001. Is it worth $1,400 for basically a 2 year warranty?

Let me know what you think.....Thanks!

Your gonna get a lot of different opinions on this but personally I have never gone for an extended warranty and have always come out ahead. You can do a lot of repairs for $1400, especially if you do your own work. It will probably only pay for itself if you have a major repair, trans, pcm, halfcase leak etc. Those things are likely to show up during the original warranty. I bought my car with 17K and passed on the extended warranty. 83K now and no problems since the warranty ended but it's always a gamble. By the way, that $1400 is probably negotiable.

Thanks for the advice Larry. I will see if I can talk them down on the warranty. I was also thinking that I could probably get an extended warranty towards the end of the factory warranty if I buy a problem child. My wife and I bought a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer and the factory warranty will be running up in a year. We are now getting mail from GM asking us if we want to purchase the extended warranty. I am assuming Cadillac is the same. After I gave it some thought and reading posts from the last year or so, it seems like big stuff starts popping up 7 to 10 years down the road or 70000-100000 miles. Either way the extended warranty will be long done by then. As of now, I am leaning on not getting one. Can't wait to go to the dealership Saturday. I think I am better off this time. Carfax check revealed one car has been on the lot for 6 months and the other one for 4. I think this leaves more room for negotiation on the price. Must put on the poker face, however.

Joe

It really depends on how long you expect keep the car. If you expect to keep the car up to 100,000 miles and do not do your own repairs, then I would go for the extended warranty. If you trade every 2 or 3 years then forget the warranty. One extended period in the shop and your $1400.00 is gone. Call it peace of mind.

I would go with the certified warranty If I recall it's 1,000 at least it was last year.Even at $1400 it's a deal. I purchased an 01 dts with 32k on it last year and the warranty was well worth the extra money Since I owned the car I had 2 door windows replaced,steering wheel,front grill.rear facia lic. plate housing,both front seat covers,fog lights,sensors on the engine and suspension,shift knob,wood trim,cig.lighter, rear brake pads and rotors turned.new under hood liner and a few other items I don't recall off hand if you add up what was replaced All of this stuff was mostly cosmetics but the warranty covered it. and typical stuff on a couple year old car..The car is in better shape then when I purchased it I still have a couple years left on the warranty and when it's up I dump the car..just before it comes off warranty.Just check the in service date of the car.is when the warranty starts.

Good Luck but a warranty to me is a must have..

Archived