CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Non Caddy Problem. 97 Lumina eletrical problem.

Hey guys, since you have been so great with help wtih my caddy i have kind of a weird one going on with my fathers car. If he brakes with his left turn signal on he looses the right brake light. We were toying around with it seeing if any other lights were having a problem and they didnt seem to we took out all the fixtures and bulbs and all look to be clean of corrosion or any signs of electric failure. We replaced the bulbs and got the same result. Also if we use the manual switch for the lights and have the taillights on, we can break and turn on the turn signal and the light is only faded it does not go out all the way. We suspect it to be something to do with the automatic headlights, any suggestions or ideas of what it could be? Thanks.

Hey guys, since you have been so great with help wtih my caddy i have kind of a weird one going on with my fathers car. If he brakes with his left turn signal on he looses the right brake light. We were toying around with it seeing if any other lights were having a problem and they didnt seem to we took out all the fixtures and bulbs and all look to be clean of corrosion or any signs of electric failure. We replaced the bulbs and got the same result. Also if we use the manual switch for the lights and have the taillights on, we can break and turn on the turn signal and the light is only faded it does not go out all the way. We suspect it to be something to do with the automatic headlights, any suggestions or ideas of what it could be? Thanks.

Its a bad turn signal (combination)switch, in the column. I had a lumina, same problem. I'm sure you can search google for bad lumina turn signal switch and you'll find many. With mine, it got so bad, usually my brake lights didn't work.

If you turn on a bunch of lights (turn, brake etc) and wiggle the column arm thing, they might go on/off, change brightness etc. Depends how bad it is at this point.

Its GM quality at its finest.

I have a '96 Monte Carlo,and I have the same problem.

The brake lights work only when touching the turn signal towards me.

It's a Turn Signal switch problem.Pretty expensive job,especially given the value of these cars.

This should of been a recall,but I guess It's not.

Florin

Archived