CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

A few problems with my '99 STS

Hey, love the forum. i was thinking of getting rid of my '99 STS actually until the forum answered alot of my questions about overheating and oil consumption. i do still have a couple of problems with the car though and need a little help.

1. When the car comes up to operating temperature, the steering sticks and it gets hard to turn.

2. the service suspension light comes up on the dash but no codes are stored. can someone point me in the right direction with this?

3. the gas gauge doesn't work properly. if the tank is filled, it'll show full but after that it just hovers around 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

....1. When the car comes up to operating temperature, the steering sticks and it gets hard to turn.
Is there some condition other than engine operating temperature you can relate to a loss or reduction of power assist? Because engine temperature ain't the problem here.

2. the service suspension light comes up on the dash but no codes are stored. can someone point me in the right direction with this?
How are you reading the codes?, are you using a "scanner". I ask because most of the made-in-China hand held scanners only read "P" codes and you will have a "C" code stored when you see the SERVICE SUSPENSION SYS message.

3. the gas gauge doesn't work properly. if the tank is filled, it'll show full but after that it just hovers around 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank.
Again there is a good chance there is a code stored to guide you to the problem. The good news is if the fuel level sensor has failed, you do not have to drop the fuel tank to replace the pump/sender assembly.

Have you tried this method of displaying codes?

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Hey, love the forum. i was thinking of getting rid of my '99 STS actually until the forum answered alot of my questions about overheating and oil consumption. i do still have a couple of problems with the car though and need a little help.

1. When the car comes up to operating temperature, the steering sticks and it gets hard to turn.

Assuming the power steering fluid isn't low, I would nevertheless change the fluid by disconnecting the line and allowing the fluid to pump out and then refile with fluid and maybe a conditioner. Maybe the fluid is contaminated, air, or the fluid is too thick or moisture/water infiltrated?

....1. When the car comes up to operating temperature, the steering sticks and it gets hard to turn.
Is there some condition other than engine operating temperature you can relate to a loss or reduction of power assist? Because engine temperature ain't the problem here.

How are you reading the codes?, are you using a "scanner". I ask because most of the made-in-China hand held scanners only read "P" codes and you will have a "C" code stored when you see the SERVICE SUSPENSION SYS message.

Again there is a good chance there is a code stored to guide you to the problem. The good news is if the fuel level sensor has failed, you do not have to drop the fuel tank to replace the pump/sender assembly.

Have you tried this method of displaying codes?

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

I figured that engine temp wasn't the problem, the only thing i know is that it's only after the car's been running for a while that the steering gets stiff. it's fine when the car is cold though

I'm reading the codes with a OBD2 handheld scanner i bought at autozone.

the fuel sensor that says gas is low doesn't come on anymore at all. if i don't get to a gas station it'll just run out without warning me.

i'm new to the forums, i'm starting to look into that now

Assuming the power steering fluid isn't low, I would nevertheless change the fluid by disconnecting the line and allowing the fluid to pump out and then refile with fluid and maybe a conditioner. Maybe the fluid is contaminated, air, or the fluid is too thick or moisture/water infiltrated?

thanks, i'll take your advice and try and replace the fluid

C1761 - Right Front Position Sensor Input Fault

This the reason for your SERVICE SUSPENSION SYS message.

Check behind and inboard of the RF wheel and should find a small link rod that connects the lower control arm to a chassis mounted "black box" which is the RF position sensor. Be sure the link rod is attached. Follow the electrical harness from the position sensor to the inside of the engine compartment where it connects to the chassis harness.

If the connectors and cabling check out OK, you could have a failed sensor.

Clear all codes and see if the code returns.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I have this problem with my power steering, The power steering fluid in my car had turned to like sludge, yours is probably the same, try changing the fluid, you might have to do it a few times. I never got the problem to fully go away, its a biotch to monover in our works under ground parking, haha. Im pretty lazy though, didnt do a good change.

DTC B0532 Fuel Sensor Shorted To Ground or Open. Wires might be broken or shorted, I think there is a cover under the trunk mat you can have a look under, maybe the wires shorted through. It will show you the top of the tank.

C1761 - Right Front Position Sensor Input Fault - sensor probably need to be changed, I had to change one on my rear last year. I just (borrowed) one from the wrecking yard =)

So, I have a 2000 SLS with many of the same problems. Lately with all the potholes, I get a "service stability system" warning. I also have a big oil leak (about a quart a week) plus check engine light for misfire. My car looks like a million bucks and is completely loaded, but I bought it because it is a Caddy. What point do you say "It's only worth 6500 trade in?" sorry to be a downer, but I feel your pain.

Regarding the fuel gauge problem, you might find this thread interesting:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadil...ender-unit.html

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived