CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Radio Problem

I'm posting this for a friend who recently bought a 2003 Deville with about 50K miles on it. He said the other day he was leaving for work, turned his radio on and it displayed the source (CD) for a few seconds, no sound or nothing, then it turned off. Even now, when he starts his car up, the same thing happens, no matter whether the source is the radio or CD, it displays the source for a few seconds with no sound, then shuts down.

Any ideas ??

Also, how do you access the codes on this model?

Willie,

The onboard diagnostics can be accessed in the same way for all '98+ Sevilles and '00+ Devilles. The ignition switch must be in the 'ON' position, but the engine does not need to be running. Press and hold the 'INFO UP' (^) button and the 'ON/OFF' button at the same time. After a few seconds, all of the segments on all of the displays will illuminate momentarily, then return to normal. The buttons can now be released. The DIC display on the instrument cluster will now display diagnostic menu choices, beginning with 'ALL?'

The 'INFO UP/DOWN' button can be used to cycle through the menu choices, while the 'ON/OFF' button is used to "select" the displayed choice; this same pattern repeats for "nested" menu choices. The process is fairly intuitive.

Select the menu choice for 'IRC' (which is the code for the radio) and then read any codes that may be present. The codes can also be cleared.

To exit the diagnostic mode, simply turn the ignition switch off.

In any case, my concern is that the radio symptoms you described suggest an internal fault in the radio; if the root cause of the problem was external to the radio, I also would expect other devices to be exhibiting problem symptoms. I fear that the radio problem may be "fatal" but perhaps it can be fixed by disconnecting battery power to the radio, either by momentarily removing the radio fuse or by disconnecting the vehicle's battery; this should force a microprocessor "reset" inside the radio, which will hopefully clear the problem. If not, it is likely that the radio must be replaced (or professionally repaired by an authorized AC/Delco repair shop). <_<

If possible, please post the outcome of this situation.

My radio quit the day after buying my 2001 Deville. Hmmmm. My Tech2 would not clear the communication amp code. More Hmmmm and some grrrrrrrr.

I had the radio basically pulled and ready to drop off at a Delco repair shop. One last effort was to disconnect the battery and 'reboot' the system.

It worked! Radio ok.

I had a problem with the volume switch on my 94 Concours radio. It would only come on just a little too loud, then cut out if you tried to turn it down. I had the door lock actuators worked on and when I got the car back the radio worked. I ask the mechanic what he did to my radio and he said nothing, all he did was unhook the battery. Well got my door lock actuators and the radio fixed for one price. I was happy, unfortunatly it did not fix the CD player though, oh well can't win them all. Like Logan said, just unhook the battery and see if that clears it up.

Archived