CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1996 Sedan Deville -is it worth keeping & adding HD radio

lnaughton

I have a 1996 Sedan Deville, 4.6L Northstar with 50,000 miles (Grandma’s car) that I am thinking of using as my daily driver. So far I’ve had an intake manifold gasket and blower motor for heat/AC replaced plus a new battery.

The codes I get now are RS 0061 (right front position sensor fault) and PC 1520 “PC1520...Park Neutral or PRNDL input problem...possibly the neutral safety switch is misadjusted or has internal corrosion. That is the switch on the top of the trans at the manual input shaft shaft where the shift cable moves the trans gear selector." The info in quotes from here http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...8&hl=pc1520.

Both of these seem to be common problems. It may help to know that Grandma banged into a couple other cars in the last couple of years. Nothing serious but...How much sense does it make to do these repairs and is there a rough estimate of a worst & best case cost?

If this is worth doing I’d want to install an HD radio. The existing unit is a stock, unidentified FM & cassette player. It looks like this http://www.installer.com/cars/by_car.php?carid=739 will give me what I need. Am I correct in thinking that the dash kit, Into Car Harness and the antenna adapter 40-GM30 are all I’ll need?

Thanks in advance, I’ve tried to give relevant info without going overboard.

I_have_a_1996_Sedan_Deville_with_50.doc

Check the suspension position sensor at the right front - it is possible that the sensor is disloged from the mounting studs on the frame. It could turn out to be a very easy fix.

There is an alignment procedure for the PRNDL switch in the shop manual but it requires a special tool.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Check the suspension position sensor at the right front - it is possible that the sensor is disloged from the mounting studs on the frame. It could turn out to be a very easy fix.

There is an alignment procedure for the PRNDL switch in the shop manual but it requires a special tool.

It looks like the suspension sensor is best accessed underneath, e.g. by crawling under or under a lift - is that right?

On my 01 STS, the sensor can be seen by simply removing the tire... not sure if your Deville is the same, but no lift would be needed for my car, just a jack and stand. Sorry but I could not find a picture that shows the sensor.

Jonah

i think a 96 with 50k miles is worth keeping. you mentioned fixing the dings from grandma's driving. only a bodyshop can give you an estimate. bodywork is usually pretty pricey but if the car is otherwise nice, than i would seriously consider fixing it. if you got a good relative price than spend a little money on fixing up the car.

Ohnoguy,

Our son uses our 1994 Deville Concours with perhaps 210,000 miles on it as his daily driver. He likes it a lot better than his '05 EVO that is all tricked out for road racing - but not very practical to drive on the street every day. He really likes the reasonable economy and room for his friends in comfort.

He and I also changed out the radio last year to some non-descript head unit. We bypassed the amp and simply wired to the speakers. The harness kits, etc that you found will probably make the job relatively simple.

Since Grandma might have forgot a few other things - as well as piloting, you might want to change out the coolant. 50,000 miles is really nothing for wear and tear. If anything the engine may like some serious WOT.

I realize its a personal decision to fix dents etc, but it would be unfortunate if my son just left those kind of things go on unrepaired on what can be a fine ride. Then again, you could don a curly white wig, scoot down in the seat until your eyes are barely over the steering wheel - point that Caddy with the dents included - to wherever you want - and watch everyone get out of the way.

Good luck!

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

It looks like the suspension sensor is best accessed underneath, e.g. by crawling under or under a lift - is that right? Will I need to go to the dealer for the PRNDL switch alignment? Thanks for your input.

Cou can access the suspension sensors by crawling under the car. You could buy the special tool for the PRNDL switch aligment or take the car in to the dealer. I wouldn't consider either as "common problems".

I would try unplugging the PRNDL switch on top of the transmission and cleaning the contacts. That may just fix it. You can also clear the code and see if it returns.

Door dings can be removed using the paintless dent removal technique - about $75 per side of the car. It is amazing how well that technique works. About 7-8 years ago, I saw a '92 Sedan deVille at my local dealer. The paintless dent guy was working on it and I looked the car over - it was perfect on one side but the side he was working on was full of door dings. I commented on how the driver's side looked go good - not a mark on it and the paintless dent guy said he just finished the driver's side before I walked up.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived