CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

mpg on 2003 deville

six6six

I was wondering if any of you had any tips on mpg? I just got my car I test drove one other deville same year it had 77k on it and got 18 mpg. When I got mines it had 44k and got 14.2 now its at 13.6. I run 91 octane and im not heavy on the gas any tips or ideas would be great. thanks

I was wondering if any of you had any tips on mpg? I just got my car I test drove one other deville same year it had 77k on it and got 18 mpg. When I got mines it had 44k and got 14.2 now its at 13.6. I run 91 octane and im not heavy on the gas any tips or ideas would be great. thanks

We need a little more information.

What is the outside temps?

Is your driving stop and go city type driving or highway driving?

Have you reset the MPG display?

Do you start it and let it idle before you drive?

Have you checked Driver Info Center for codes?

Posted Image

Outside temp is around 30-70

Driving is stop and go all city

I let the car warm up in the morning for about 10 mins

Yes i did reset the mpg display a couple times

Yeah i do have a few codes but could not find any info on them

DDM U 1713, DDM U1714, IPC U 1064, PDM U 1713, VTD B 1327, RCC B 1009

Today im gonna check the air filter and see if its in bad shape

I also heard changing spark plugs and wires could help. But some one told me i should'nt have to till about 55k

....Driving is stop and go all city
This is part of the MPG situation.

I let the car warm up in the morning for about 10 mins
This is the killing blow. Zero MPG for at least 10 minutes.

Yeah i do have a few codes but could not find any info on them

DDM U 1713, DDM U1714, IPC U 1064, PDM U 1713, VTD B 1327, RCC B 1009

None of these codes have anything to do with engine operation.

I also heard changing spark plugs and wires could help. But some one told me i should'nt have to till about 55k
Might not do any damage to change plugs but that will not increase your MPG enough to pay for the plugs within the next 50,000 miles.

And you do not have traditional wires to change. Your engine has coil-on-plug ignition.

Your code B1327 indicates voltage to that module was below 9 Volts at some point. Have you been having battery problems?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

What's your average MPH in your DIC?

I have a 2002 STS with the same outside temperatures and I get about 13.5 in town. But I never let it warm up over 1 minute. But the STS is supposed to get a little less mileage anyway considering the final drive ratio.

My average MPH is about 12 or 13 MPH. So if your average MPH is close, I would think that would be normal mileage with a 10 minute warm up time.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

What's your average MPH in your DIC?

I have a 2002 STS with the same outside temperatures and I get about 13.5 in town. But I never let it warm up over 1 minute. But the STS is supposed to get a little less mileage anyway considering the final drive ratio.

My average MPH is about 12 or 13 MPH. So if your average MPH is close, I would think that would be normal mileage with a 10 minute warm up time.

my average MHP is in the DIC is 13.6

I talked to a friend of mine who works at a car lot and he said that a car IE a caddy that has mpg display they will drive it on the freeway in order to get the mpg display up so that it looks gas efficent. Anyone heard of this ?

Also you said you never let your car warm up less then a minute i thought that was bad for the car

Yeah JIM D so what the general idea is i dont need to let my car warm up just jump in and go? > no i havent had any battery problems i have only had it a few months but never noticed a dip usally stays around 14.5 to 15

Yeah JIM D so what the general idea is i dont need to let my car warm up just jump in and go?....

That's how my '98 has been operated for 10 years / 170,xxx miles. Fire it up, buckle up, put it in gear, move on down the road.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Yeah JIM D so what the general idea is i dont need to let my car warm up just jump in and go?....

That's how my '98 has been operated for 10 years / 170,xxx miles. Fire it up, buckle up, put it in gear, move on down the road.

Sounds good I am not to worried about the MPGs it just my wife is complaing about how much i spend on gas

I told her it could be worse i could drive the 73 or 64 around 5 mpg if im going downhill with the wind blowing haha

thanks for all your help i replaced the air filter and i will try and jump in and go for a week and see how that helps

Letting it idle for that long actually can cause a lot of carbon build up which is not good. GM recommends a max warm up time of 3-5 minutes if I remember right. Even if it's 30 below, I still only let it warm up 2 minutes MAX.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

My 2000 Deville gets about 19 MPG for a mix of around town and highway driving (just as a point of reference).

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

My 2000 Deville gets about 19 MPG for a mix of around town and highway driving (just as a point of reference).

What do you do more highway or city? I have had my car for 2 months and got on the highway once

and that was on the way home from the car lot

What do you do more highway or city? I have had my car for 2 months and got on the highway once

and that was on the way home from the car lot

Good question. I would guess 1/3 city and 2/3 highway. The highway milage is all metropolitan Southern California freeway driving which is often congested, slow and go traffic.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

You're doing fine.

Yes, you could find the PEAK mpg figure if you reset the computer while cruising down the highway.....remember, the opposite of idling at "0" MPG is cruising at the minimum speed which will maintain top gear+overdrive, or lockup the torque converter. In most cases, this happens over 45 MPH (steady state @ level), but under 60 MPH (same conditions). In those situations, my 1999 STS will hold about 30 or 31 MPG. So this is the other extreme.

Interestingly enough, someone once posed the question to me: If I had one gallon of gas in my car, should I idle to the nearest gas station, or get there as fast as I can? Based on the info above, the optimal speed would be about 45 - 50 MPH.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived