CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Help with Pull Down Motor Install

simplyrob

I have a 91 Brougham 6 door Limo. I went to a Salvage Yard and purchased a used pull down motor assembly. The only problem is my car never had one to begin with. So it looks like something has to be removed in order for this to fit. I should have paid more attention when I removed it from the donor car. Any ideas?

• 5 months later...

There is more to the trunk pull-down than mechanically installing it, in particular getting power to it and a signal from the RFA module, which responds to the fob -- or Remote Function Actuator -- to open the trunk. There is a button on the dashboard of my 1997 Eldorado to open the trunk that is disabled by the Valet mode and works over the Class 2 bus with the RFA module. You may be able to get the pull-down to close the trunk lid but you will need a FSM and perhaps a dealer with a Tech II to get some or all of its other features to work. Unless the pull-down was an option on your car, or was originally installed and later removed in some repair, you may not be able to install it at all without some sheet metal work.

Your immediate issue is to get the mechanical installation done. I'll leave that reply to someone with a 1991 FSM; I don't believe that my 1997 FSM is applicable to the 1991 model year.

To answer your PM about getting the OBD codes -- the AC controls on my car (and probably on yours) include a passenger temperature control. When the passenger is cool or warm but you don't want to change the temperature control for the whole car, you can press Warmer or Cooler buttons on the AC control to make the front passenger air vents to work as if the main temperature control setting was up to 5 degrees warmer or cooler than the main temperature control. The OBD user display and control mode is brought up by pressing the AC "Off" and the Warmer button at the same time and holding for 5 seconds or so until all the message and warning lights on the dashboard and radio light up at the same time -- the segment test mode. Then you release the buttons and the first thing the IPM does is interrogate all the modules on your car and display the codes, if any. On my car, the Warmer and Cooler buttons are on a rocker at the far right of my AC controls. On some other models they are separate buttons, one above the other.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I have a 91 Brougham 6 door Limo. I went to a Salvage Yard and purchased a used pull down motor assembly. The only problem is my car never had one to begin with. So it looks like something has to be removed in order for this to fit. I should have paid more attention when I removed it from the donor car. Any ideas?

I've never heard of a Brougham (or any Cadillac for that matter) that DIDN'T have the power trunk pulldown. You will need to get the wire harnesses from the donor car and you'll need to lengthen them since you have a limo. The latch ring is probably welded to the trunk panel and you'll need to remove it in order to mount the pulldown assembly.

It will be a big project - I was going to add a pulldown motor to my '86 Park Avenue but didn't because I thought it would be more work than what it was worth. Don't let that discourage you though.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived