CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Steering "CHIRPS"

I think I have a potential steering problem developing. The steering is fine but when I go to turn I hear a "chriping" sound coming from the steering council (it only occurs at certain angles) Sounds like its coming inside the council. It sounds like a bearing problem, however I have 0 knowledge when it comes to the power steering system...thanks agian

A.J.

EHhehe m ine does that too.. it's been doing it for a long time.. but it's almost unnoticable and it happens if i turn the wheel pretty fast.. very small noise.. not noticable at all if you have the windows down or the radio on :)

Is yours obnoxious?

"not noticeable at all if you have the windows down or the radio on".....couldn't have said it better myself.....I can only hear it when the radio is off ... Anyway I started to drive it with the radio off to listen for noises and I have noticed a couple "knots" or "kinks" with the steering ( when I am turning left or right I hear "knot knot knot " (could be a normal sound...I dunno)...and the chirping at certain angles...again steering is not a problem...yet....I should also mention that the bolts on the tilt are lose....and I can move the wheel about an inch upward/downward when it is in the lock position...dealer notified me about the problem but wanted $400-$500 to fix it..I refused. That was almost 2 years ago....still drives like a stick of butter.... but the chirping/springing sound makes me feel a little uneasy...

A.J.

If there's "sticking" in the steering when you try to turn it that's sometimes a sign that the steering rack might have a leak or will soon start leaking. Do you see any power steering fluid leaking under your car?

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Archived