CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

PCM Code 440

dgaouette

On my 99 Deville Concourse I occationally get a PCM 440 code. If I reset it It will run for some time and again set the code. I understand the set conditions and they are met several times with a pass and then another 440. Has anyone had any problems with this system. My cap is on tight when it occurs. Any help would be appreciated.

P0440 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System

Do you cruise at 45 mph for 15 minutes or more every once in awhile? If not, the EVAP system may never purge and get saturated.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The car gets driven daily about 50 miles, mostly highway. I have checked the basics and all looks well. It seems to be all better for the last week or so but I'm expecting it to be back soon!

Well I did some more checking today and here's what I found. If I apply pressure to the gas cap opening it sounds like I get a slight leak above the gas tank. Looks like I will have to drop the tank to get a look but I was wondering if anyone had seen any issues in this area that I shoud be looking for. Thanks

You're right in that the filler pipe looks a bit humble but the leak appears to be coming from the top of the tank. I think the filler pipe comes in the side. I assume the pump assembly comes out the top along with the sensor for the P0440. Does anyone know if you apply pressure to the filler cap if the system should hold prewssure or should it bleed itself off??

Archived