CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1992 4.9L...Iron or Aluminum?

1992 Seville STS, is the 4.9L an Iron Block engine, or aluminum? Also. are the Heads Iron or Aluminum? I may have a head gasket issue, as in my previous post "Still overheats"...a neighbor friend who owned a mechanic shop, said the 4.9L, although easier to do a head gasket job on than the Northstar, is still a bear, and most mechanics won't touch it. Stripped head bolt issues in the block, etc... He said the motor was an aluminum block. I mentioned that I have seen on this board the issue of "Tine Certs" or something to that effect. Perhaps someone could help me on that issue. What is a "tine cert", and if we pull the heads, are stripped bolts in the block a common issue? Can it be done without pulling the motor out of the car? I drove it to work this morning...ran 169 the whole way. I beleive in my troubleshooting fiasco, I currently have the Thermostat out... The only thing that has not been replaced is the "Heater Control Valve". I am gonna pick one up and install it. Thanks as always guys! :D

Hmm, I am going to guess on this one, I think the block is a sleeved aluminum block, and the heads are cast iron but I am not sure about the heads. The reason I say that they are not aluminum heads is that I don't recall any 4.9 discussions regarding stripped spark plug threads or any reluctance by any of the techs here regarding removal of the plugs whereas on the NS its 'somewhat' of an issue. Mike

Early on sailors navigated by the stars at night and the North star became the symbol for finding ones way home. Once you know where the Northstar is you can point your ship in the right direction to get home. So the star became a symbol for finding ones way home or more symbolically even finding ones path in life.

Thanks Guru... I am gonna try some K&W block seal, see if that helps. I have one for you... the same mechanic, who owned a reputable shop, primarily HP engine builds for the strip, said they had a V-12 Jaguar come in. BOTH heads on each side had a visible crack apprx. 10-14 inches long on each side. He saw the cracks, and said wow, looks like 2 new heads are needed, then a Puerto Rican mechanic who also worked there saw the cracks, he said awe hell, no problem. He went down to 7-11, bought a dozen eggs. Cracked the eggs into the container, added a little water, drained the cooling system on the Jag, poured in the eggs, and topped it off with water. They let it idle for an hour or two. After about an hour the egg mixture started coming out the cracks, but started getting real hard from the heat, viola, the darn thing was fixed. It smelled a little funny, but last heard the Jag was still running ok....true story. Perhaps, after the K&W block seal if that don't work... :D Hmmmm I wonder if I add a pound of bacon to that mix... and tell 'em "over easy" ;) I may just try it...

10-4 on the banana peels...hmmm wonder if it works for head gaskets :blink: , anyway, on the 120 psi injection, any particular position of the pistons, valves...etc... We are not sure of the gasket/head leak, it's just averything's been replaced. I guess the air injection would be a determing factor. So you just look for air bubbles in the coolant?

The valves have to be closed (compression stroke). Otherwise your just pumping air into the exhaust (exhaust valve opened) or into the intake (intake valve opened). With the valves closed a leaky head gasket will seep air into the cooling system and the bubbles will eventually find it's way to the radiator cap where you can observe them.

Archived