CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Potential problem?

Scotty

I was looking around under the hood and found the fuse box, here is a picture of it, its caked with i dont know what, dust, dirt, grease?

I am thinking compressed air but don't want to blow the dirt in further. Contact cleaner? If I spray contact cleaner it drys almost on contact, so maybe thats the way to go. I think this door should be sealed with rubber. I am missing a small (6 inch) rubber seal on the cowl right below my inspection sticker on the lower left of the windshield, it seals the hood to keep debris out of the engine compartment, I was getting leaves in the fall under the hood. Could that be the cause? Going to get that seal from caddy asap anyway. Any Ideas about this? Mike

post-3-1083850730.jpg

Clean it in stages: Whisk broom the big pieces off; vacuum the area; toothbrush the small pieces off; vacuum the area; pull a couple of fuses to check the condition and leave them alone if they're pretty clean--if they're dusty or corroded I think you'd be wise to pull each one and swab them in contact cleaner with one more vacuum before replacing. What's the black elec tape? A DIY hinge from the lost cover? Or something to worry about? My $.02..

undefined    Kopr-Shield

Applied to electrical contacts before the final connection, Kopr-Shield helps improve electrical conductivity, protects contacts against corrosion. This copper compound is ideal for low or high-draw accessories, such as horns, lights, blower motors, etc. Perfect when replacing or repairing difficult to reach components; greatly reduces failures due to contact corrosion. Works on exhaust system joints and hardware too. Brush in cap.

Item#  Product  Qty  Price

25002  Kopr-Shield 

$7.99

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product...word=electrical

I removed all my fuses and brushed this stuff on all the fuse tabs. You can probably find it at an electrical type store as well

Dennis

What's the black elec tape? A DIY hinge from the lost cover? Or something to worry about? My $.02..

Thanks, good ideas, I am not sure that the tape was/is I didnt touch it, just exploring right now. I got this car Nov 1, and now that its warm I have been under the hood. The door is there if you look low you can see it. The door is loose when its in place however. Does yours look like this or is yours clean? Thanks, Mike

Sorry this doesn't help with your problem, but how did you attach that image. I have been trying to do something like that but I can't.

Thanks,

Eric

At the bottom of your message input window you will see FILE ATTACHMENT, it must be under 64K however, I just make the PHOTOS smaller in PAINT at 640 by 480, and it works great. The photos are shot with an HP Photosmart 912 on lowest quality and at 1/2 color according to the camera's settings, then I make it 640 by 480 in PAINT and its usually about 25 to 40K... Mike

Kopr-Shield helps improve electrical conductivity, protects contacts against corrosion. This copper compound is ideal for low or high-draw accessories, such as horns, lights, blower motors, etc. Perfect when replacing or repairing difficult to reach components; greatly reduces failures due to contact corrosion. Works on exhaust system joints and hardware too. Brush in cap.

Dennis sounds like great stuff... I will look into it, Thanks, Mike

I think you will find most of that dirt is generated from below the fuse panel. Just road dirt coming up around that fender well and the plastic shroud around the fuse panel. Just clean it out occasionally and it will be fine. It is not coming in around your hood seal.

I think you will find most of that dirt is generated from below the fuse panel. Just road dirt coming up around that fender well and the plastic shroud around the fuse panel. Just clean it out occasionally and it will be fine. It is not coming in around your hood seal.

Mine had corrosion setting in on the fuses as well as the dirt. The salt they use on the roads gets everywhere....

Dennis

You will NOT be getting the GOOD HOUSEKEEPING seal of approval this year! LOL

Jeff

You can say that again! It looks like a basement I inspected in a building built in 1900 last week located in the BRONX! Tell me if I am wrong, but if SALT and ROAD DIRT can get into that area, isn't this a design, OPPS? Is this just my year or are that all like this? As much as I don't like being critical of Caddy/GM its tough not to be with this rats nest... ;) Mike

Mike,

your right it is a design flaw, mine was missing the whole plastic housing and had no crude accumalating.Now that i bought and installed the housing and cover i have crap all over just like yours.

First I would disconnect the negative battery terminal.

As mentioned use a small whisk brom and then vacuum the area.

The fuse size and locations are shown on the fuse box lid. Verify this information to your actual condition.

Pull all fuses. Spray electrical cleaner and brush with small nylon (shop toothbrush style) brush. Flush liberally with the spray cleaner and allow to dry.

Look at the fuse prongs, use spray cleaner and rub each fuse prong, with a clean rag, until bright metal shows. Do not use steel wool, particles are hard to completly remove and could cause shorting.

Replace all of the fuses, verify correct locations by using the fuse box lid.

Reconnect negative battery terminal.

Turn key on and clear all codes.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Mine looks pretty much the same. Just dusty, I don't worry much about it. I think trmnatr is right, it's comming from beneath. I have to agree though, you'd think GM would do a better job of sealing off a fuse box. Shame on you GM

Archived