CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Alternator Extraction!

Scotty

I probably should do a search to find this as I am sure that SOMEONE had to ask this question... How the hell do you get the alternator out, it looks deep. I am hoping that the inspection/splash panel behind the wheel it HUGE! Thanks, Mike

I probably should do a search to find this as I am sure that SOMEONE had to ask this question... How the hell do you get the alternator out, it looks deep. I am hoping that the inspection/splash panel behind the wheel it HUGE! Thanks, Mike

Lift the car up and remove the lower splash shield. You will see the alternator at the bottom, towards the pass side at the bottom of the (rad) core support you will see a removable plate. There are (4) 10mm head bolts connecting that plate to the core support, remove that plate. You need to remove the electric fan from that side of the radiator so you have some room. Remove the negative battery cable, remove the connector and the power lead to the alternator. Once you get the alternator unbolted from the brackets you will need to turn it pulley up and then twist it around until it fits through the hole where the plate was removed.

Good luck and have fun...... I can R & R the alternator in about 35 minutes start to finish....... that's because the first new one failed after 60 days and I needed to replace it again........

Dennis

I can R & R the alternator in about 35 minutes start to finish....... that's because the first new one failed after 60 days and I needed to replace it again........

Thanks for the great details! Isn't amazing how easy it is the second time after you had practice? LOL, Thanks, Mike :rolleyes:

You want detail about the insides of a Northstar as well??? I can give you that as well. I went through one that I am going to use to replace the leaker I have... actually it's out on the floor on my garage right now. Both head gaskets.......... :blink:

For added fun I am replacing the torque converter and altered the cam timing a little.... The replacement motor was a mix of years with older heads of which I have altered to accept the 96/97 intake. Hopefully this weekend I will start dropping the new one in.

Dennis

You want detail about the insides of a Northstar as well??? I can give you that as well. I went through one that I am going to use to replace the leaker I have... actually it's out on the floor on my garage right now. Both head gaskets.......... :blink:

For added fun I am replacing the torque converter and altered the cam timing a little.... The replacement motor was a mix of years with older heads of which I have altered to accept the 96/97 intake. Hopefully this weekend I will start dropping the new one in.

I'm Impressed! If you get a chance take a series of photos of your progress, we could benefit from your project! Thanks, Mike

Archived