CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

new wheel bearing question

Caddynut

I ordered a new wheel bearing for my 92 Seville and just got it in today. When I pulled it out of the package, it is almost unable to turn. It i very tight. Out of all of the wheel bearings I have put on, they have turned fairly easily.....this one takes quite a bit of effort to turn it. Is this sometimes normal?

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle

A normal wheel bearing have should no obvious play, and rotate smoothly with little effort. Even a bearing that gets preloaded, such as a pinion bearing, will turn easily and smoothly.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Normal

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

ok, I never remember them being that tight. Thank you very much....you saved me a huge headache of shipping it back and having it happen again.

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle

A normal wheel bearing have should no obvious play, and rotate smoothly with little effort. Even a bearing that gets preloaded, such as a pinion bearing, will turn easily and smoothly.

-George

I just finished replacing my right front bearing and right out of the package the new bearing had no play and I was able to turn it with little effort just as growe3 said. I paid about $90 for it and it's made by Federal-Mogul, which I understand is an OEM supplier. This was the second bearing I replaced (both on the right side) and this one was an easy job in comparison to the first. I must say the Federal-Mogul bearing fit like a glove and it looked just like the ACDelco bearing I purchased for the first job. I wasn't sure if the bearing was shot but once I removed and inspected it, it became clear the bearing needed be replaced. I figured it was gone once I took the brake caliper and rotor off and manually put torque on the bearing while in park and noted movement in the bearing that shouldn't be there. Now I'm going check to see if the front end noise is gone.

Archived