CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New ECM

:( I recently had to put "new" ecm (ecm from junkyard, same year and all stickers and numbers are identical) in 1996 sts. Now car will not start due to passkey failure code. Do you remove the chip under the metal plate w/ two screws and place into the "new" ecm or is the new ecm have a different current in the key pellet. Somebody reply. Have had nothing but electrical (no mechanical problems) since I bought this car almost three years ago. Thinking about selling to brother-in-law, but I am afraid he will hate me for selling him a fat yellow lemon. I know some folks on this site always seem to enjoy having car trouble. I am starting to hate this car, someone please help.

The '96 should have a software based PCM. Not a PROM chip as your junkyard descibes. I guess thats why they are making $10 per hour.

Yeah....I bet it wont start.

Call your dealer - they should be able to reprogram the PCM for you.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

:( This is an ecm software based computer and is first OBD II computer used in cadillac. (I said in the description that it is the exact same computer) I am referring to the an eight pin chip that fits under that metal plate which is removeavble by two screws from my old computer. (Service advisor at Peacock Cadillac in Houston said that this would start car)

Archived