CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

any help? splice into for the input on my amplifier

ok i know there have probably been many people asking questions such as this, but i cant find what i need to know so if you could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. i was just wondering which speaker wire to splice into for the input on my amplifier, there are four going into the amplifier on the speaker but i dont know which one to pick.

<edit>

:fighting0025:

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

why the sudden change of heart, lost your rocks?

Na, I give up, I have to stop being affected by the dumbed down America

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

why the sudden change of heart, lost your rocks?

Let me take a WILD GUESS . . . . .

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=16895

Close?

Regards,

Warren :D

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

i was just wondering which speaker wire to splice into for the input on my amplifier, there are four going into the amplifier on the speaker but i dont know which one to pick.

Yo Pearl, I don't really understand your question. Are you trying to splice in another sound source, or are you trying to add another speaker(s). The speaker wires coming from the amp to the speakers are not inputs, they are outputs to the speakers. You have Input wires going to the amp from the radio, cass, cd, that are pre-amp input wires. If you are trying to add another source, does it have a pre-amp output? What sound system do you have installed. Again what are you trying to do?

Thanks

Dave

you do wrong me hit you with hammer, very intelligent. im sure if someone saw that they would know exactly what you meant by it.

No that is ME getting hit with a hammer for trying at all. My problem is that I EXPECT others have the same common sense characteristics as me, and feel the need to drag them through the process if they don't. It's called caring too much, when we are a society where NO ONE cares. I am learning NOT to care, but it's hard.

The real fact, is I am a dinosaur that expects to much and understands that if you don't do it right don't do it at all. Things have changed every one is chasing the dollar at any cost including quality and detail.

I also read into members writing too much. In some posts I feel demanding, terse and arrogant attitudes when it is just a poor writing style or frustration coming through.

To me, this board is a tremendous resource, helping everyone regardless of their mechanical experience, promptly and to exhaustion, we share parts, ourselves physically to actually go to help another member, we ship parts to members, even engines, and we basically jump through hoops. To simply say, Any Help? in the subject line, might have been normal for you, for me to see it, implied many negative things. I think you understand my feeling about this now that Warren showed you that link. I didn't lose my rocks, I am trying to control them.

BBF i mean no disrespect to you, i see you as a helpful and knowledgeable man. im sorry for being ignorant, as i am new to this site and dont know what is expected. i knew what you where talking about from the beginning because i read your pre-edited post and link. i was just angry about the hammer post because i feel most would infer that IM the dumb *smurf* being hit with hammer, i just think that that was not a very civilized way to go about things your original response was much better and so was mine. i hope there are no hard feelings.

burcham, i am adding a new amplifier for a new speaker to the existing bose system. i need to know what pre-amp wire to splice into for the input on my new amplifier, i only need the positive because im grounding it to the car itself or will that not work?

burcham, i am adding a new amplifier for a new speaker to the existing bose system. i need to know what pre-amp wire to splice into for the input on my new amplifier, i only need the positive because im grounding it to the car itself or will that not work?

The Sound system is pretty complicated, and a lot of the controls come from the serial data line. How are you going to contol the volume to the new amp? Also your going to have the existing amp still amping the same signal. Anyway, I'm going to try to post a pinout of the C1 connector of the Bose Power Amp, and we can go from there...with help from someone I hope.

post-478-1204751366_thumb.jpg

burcham, i spliced into the yellow wire on a friends advice and it works fine. the new speaker works perfect with no detectable noise and so do the original ones. i dont know about controlling the volume to the amp but it goes up and down along with the others. one thing though i did not connect the negative input wire to the new amp to anything i just hooked up the positive to the yellow but it still works, is that normal or do i have to connect it to something?

burcham, i spliced into the yellow wire on a friends advice and it works fine. the new speaker works perfect with no detectable noise and so do the original ones. i dont know about controlling the volume to the amp but it goes up and down along with the others. one thing though i did not connect the negative input wire to the new amp to anything i just hooked up the positive to the yellow but it still works, is that normal or do i have to connect it to something?

YEA HEAVY AND A BOTTLE OF BREAD!!!

Well I guess so if it works. The input you spliced into probably has the - side grounded to the car body. If your new amp is bolted to some metal part of the car, and it uses a chassis gnd and the housing is metal, you probably dont need the neg wire from the radio. But you might want to put a screw and a couple of washers near the amp and run a short wire from the amp -input to it. You said you used the yellow wire right? The only one I can find is for the output to the center speaker on the dash. Have you noticed any change in the sound of that speaker. What kind of amp and speaker did you add, and why? Reason I ask, is because I have the Bose system in the 99 sls, and so far I am very dissappointed in the sound. It seems to me that I have no bass, or at least not the kind I want. The rear speaker to me sounds like someone hitting a cardboard box with a stick, and the door speakers start buzzing when I turn the bass up and raise the volume. I usually drive my car stereo with the treble and bass turned all the way up. Sometimes on some songs I might have to back off on the bass a little when the speakers start buzzing. But so far on the Bose system I cant find any setting that really suits me. Dont know if it is the speakers, the amp the control head or what. How do you drive yours? Anyway glad you got yourn goin.

Dave

it was a lot easier than what everybody told me. i drive a 97 so i dont have a center speaker. both rear speakers have four wires going into the amp on them and i used the yellow on each side (all the wiring i did was in the trunk). i noticed no noise in the old speakers in fact i think they sound better now, dont ask me how. my amp is mounted on my sub box so i have no idea how the lack of a negative wire is working but i attached one to the car anyways. i usually drive with the treble 3/4 and the bass all the way and it definitely sounds like im having the same results as you. i added a 10'' jl sub and rockford amp because i was disappointed by supposedly amazing stock system, it is much better now

it was a lot easier than what everybody told me. i drive a 97 so i dont have a center speaker. both rear speakers have four wires going into the amp on them and i used the yellow on each side (all the wiring i did was in the trunk). i noticed no noise in the old speakers in fact i think they sound better now, dont ask me how. my amp is mounted on my sub box so i have no idea how the lack of a negative wire is working but i attached one to the car anyways. i usually drive with the treble 3/4 and the bass all the way and it definitely sounds like im having the same results as you. i added a 10'' jl sub and rockford amp because i was disappointed by supposedly amazing stock system, it is much better now

Glad your finally getting the sound you want!!! Probably the neg power to the new amp is why your not having to gnd the input signal. If the input to the amp is common gnd then that would be grounded by the neg power cable to the car chassis, same as bolting it to the metal frame. I think I am going to take mine to my friend who is an audio engineer. He has a recording studio, sets up sound systems for auditoriums, concerts, bars, whatever. The only reason I havent done so yet is that he hates car systems. But maybe he will at least listen to mine, if I bring along a 6-pack. My 94 has just the plain radio/amp and to my ears, sounds a heck of a lot better than the Bose system with all its fancy adjustments. I may be calling on you for advise on changing or adding something to mine, turnabout is fair play. Whop bop ah loo bop, ah lop bam boo. SO THERE.

Dave

Archived