CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Seville dash light problems???

Well, every once and awhile the check engine light comes on along with the front window defroster on my 1992 STS. All the other displays show dashed lines. It clears if you restart the car, but usually returns. The other gauges like the speedo still work properly. Sometimes it never happens, but there is no telling when it will. Anyone have a similar experience? What should I be looking for?

Thanks everyone..... :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Its a bad IPC/cluster.....or one of the computers on the car is corrupting the data on the UART data line circuit 800.

These can be very hard to find if intermitant. My '93 took two weeks to pinpoint the cluster. I found if I pressed and held the cluster harness plug in a certain way for 30 seconds....I could induce the failure mode. Bad cluster/IPC.

The GM/Delco cluster diagnostic terminals appear to not test circuit 800 failures. My cluster tested 'OK.' To them '--' is a normal OK mode. I had to show the failure mode in the car to the Delco tech. He was like ......oh crap.....we dont test for that.

So...in some cases its taking 3-4 'rebuilt' clusters to clear up the 'loss of data', defrost lamp, '--' error, failure mode.

The IPC/cluster is $300 exchange from Delco radio/speedometer repair shops.

• 3 weeks later...

No read posting?

Its a bad IPC/cluster.....or one of the computers on the car is corrupting the data on the UART data line circuit 800.

These can be very hard to find if intermitant. My '93 took two weeks to pinpoint the cluster. I found if I pressed and held the cluster harness plug in a certain way for 30 seconds....I could induce the failure mode. Bad cluster/IPC.

The GM/Delco cluster diagnostic terminals appear to not test circuit 800 failures. My cluster tested 'OK.' To them '--' is a normal OK mode. I had to show the failure mode in the car to the Delco tech. He was like ......oh crap.....we dont test for that.

So...in some cases its taking 3-4 'rebuilt' clusters to clear up the 'loss of data', defrost lamp, '--' error, failure mode.

The IPC/cluster is $300 exchange from Delco radio/speedometer repair shops.

I tried that nothing...but yesterday I tried disconnecting the plug that goes to the blower for defroster and such...just to get some heat relief. Disconnecting that plug stopped dash from sticking on defrost....so that may narrow my search. I hope...

:blink:

My '92 Seville STS 150k miles doing the SAME THING! In working with Logan and the other guys on the board here, looks like an IPC, or PCM. I just cannot afford to fix it now, I am thinking about pulling the IPC and checking all of the solder joints, There is a guy in Canada who repairs them for $189.00 American. Do a search and you should find him. He fixes all brands of IPC's...

Try these guys for a rebuilt/repaired cluster, they repaired my 86 Corvette cluster for $190, most of the GM dealers in the area use them... Mike

www.modelelectronics.com

Early on sailors navigated by the stars at night and the North star became the symbol for finding ones way home. Once you know where the Northstar is you can point your ship in the right direction to get home. So the star became a symbol for finding ones way home or more symbolically even finding ones path in life.

Archived