CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

PROBLEM WITH MY CAR STARTING

NINAROSS

Hey everyone I am a owner of a 92 Cadillac Seville and recently I have acquired some starting problem ...when I turn the key it cranks but it doesnt catch...it sounds as if it needs more gas but when I press the gas pedal there's no acceleration and it just kinda backfires and stops cranking all together...any suggestions..i know I'm a bout due for a tune-up. Thanks in advance! :blink::blink:

Check the fuel pressure while attempting to start the car. You'll need to hook up a pressure gage to the fuel rail.

If the pressure drops off during cranking, you will probably need to replace the fuel pump.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Yup, sure sounds like fuel pump. How does it run when you do get it started or DO YOU? IF you get it running take it for a ride and give it some WOT. What happens? A weak fuel pump will usually make it fall flat on it's face.

Hey, what I can say about how it drove before this problem was that at times the acceleration would be kind of sluggish and my rpms would go up rather high, higher than the usual amount of rpms for that speed. Sometimes it'd take me longer to get to a certain speed.

Nina,

Below is a post from the old discussion board. You should be able to use starting fluid to help diagnose a possible fuel starvation problem. I have never used this method on my Eldorado. I suggest waiting for input before attempting this method. By the way, have you change your fuel filter; Could it be clogged?

Posted By: bill

Subject: re: '94 STS suddenly won't start

Date: 6/12/2002 8:49:00 PM Don't over look the basics here....

An engine needs fuel, spark and air to run.

If it is turning over then it is probably getting the air it needs so the question is whether the fuel or spark died.

Get a can of starting fluid (ether) and squirt a little into the throttle body or air cleaner. If you pull off the vacuum line to the brake booster you can squirt the ether into the vacuum fitting quite easily. Try starting after putting the ether in. If it starts for a moment then you are looking for a fuel problem. Check the injector fuses and the fuel pump relay and fuse. Check the fuel pressure at the schraeder valve on the fuel rail. Take adequate precautions...safety glasses and a rag to shield the potential spray of fuel....and Just depress the schraeder valve immediately after cranking. Fuel should spray out. If not then the fuel pump is not running for some reason. Maybe the fuel pump has failed.

If the engine does not start when the ether is sprayed into it then the chances are the spark is not working. Remove a plug wire and check for spark at the wire by holding it close to a ground on the engine while cranking. If no spark then look for 12 volts to the coils, etc.

bill

• 4 weeks later...
throttle body or air cleaner,the vacuum line to the brake booster,injector fuses and the fuel pump relay and fuse. Check the fuel pressure at the schraeder valve on the fuel rail.

Thank you all for your input....but I'm ashamed to say I do not know what any of those things are or where they are located on my vehicle, a little more insight would be very helpful....however I can tell you all that my battery was no good, so i installed a new one, the first crank it started but i didnt give it any gas and it cut back off, every crank since then has resulted in nada, it still just turns over but no catch, when iI first turn the key my gages raise a lil then they shoot right back down....any more information would be very helpful!

Nina,

Do you see a black round plastic part? It has a plustic nut on top. Take it of and pull the plastic cover. You'll se the throttle body. Put some ether into it.

post-3-1086386267.jpg

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Sounds like you have very limited mechanical knowledge. That being the case, even if we could explain where there things are, you would need a fuel pressure guage to check fuel pressure to diagnose a fuel pump for example and some basic knowledge about how these things operate to know what you are looking for.Not to mention the possibility of doing something wrong and damaging something or hurting yourself. Sounds like you may need the help of a mechanic or if you are located near someone on this board they might be willing to have a look and help you out.

Do you see a black round plastic part? It has a plustic nut on top. Take it of and pull the plastic cover. You'll se the throttle body. Put some ether into it.

I am assuming that you are talking about my carburater..I took that off and sprayed some carb cleaner in there it would start briefly then die, when starting and pressing the gas pedal there's no rev, it still just goes kaput.

i am not sure carburator cleaner is right stuff, it should be ether or ask for special spray/liquide to help to start the car

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Nina,

The "carburator" on your car is actually the throttle body (lower half of a carburator). If it started briefly by spraying "fuel" into it then you have successfuly diagnosed a fuel problem. Your engine is not getting any fuel. Now all we have to do is figure out why?

The hissing sound you heard opening the gas cap would indicate a vacuum in the tank if it was very pronounced. Did the car start after relieving the vacuum?

Can you find the schreader valve on the fuel rail? It looks just like a tire valve. Remove the cap and press just like letting air out of a tire. Put a rag over it though, if there is fuel pressure it will spray fuel. Also open the fuel cap and have someone turn the key on without starting while you put your ear to the gas tank and listen for the fuel pump running. It should run for about 2 seconds then stop if the car is not started. If it does run, then the fuel rail will have pressure. If the pump is working you will then need to put a fuel pressure guage on it to see if there is enough fuel pressure.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Archived