CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Nitrous Oxide

Josh

<_< My friend has a nitrous system he had on his old nissan. Today he mentioned putting it on my car.... I was wondering if it would be okay to spray 35 horsepower on an HT 4100. I have an 85 coupe deville... I'm thinking it should hold up good as long as I only push the button once.

Do you think this sounds like a bad idea?

<_ my friend has a nitrous system he had on his old nissan. today mentioned putting it car.... i was wondering if would be okay to spray horsepower an ht have coupe deville... thinking should hold up good as long only push the button once.>

Do you think this sounds like a bad idea?

Bad idea. In fact, very bad idea.

Don't do it.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I would not recommend it... I don't think the valve train will hold up very well on the 4.1 with nitrous...

I would leave well enough alone and let your buddy burn up his ricer....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I would not recommend it... I don't think the valve train will hold up very well on the 4.1 with nitrous...

How would this create an extra load on the valve train?

I'd think the lower end would see the extra HP, not the valves (unless you over-revved it)

How would this create an extra load on the valve train?

I'd think the lower end would see the extra HP, not the valves (unless you over-revved it)

From what I've read on the Internet about NOS and engine damage, it's using it at the low end that causes the damage to the engine.

Do a search on Google like this: "nitrous oxide""engine damage" two phrases, both in quotes, no spaces between the two phrases, and see what comes back.

The first site that comes up, http://www.dynopower.freeserve.co.uk/nitrous_oxide/ seems to explain it best. Quote from the site: "If the button is pushed at a lower rpm, engine damage is more likely or possible, due to the enormous torque that would be produced as the nitrous oxide tries to make + 50bhp extra completely regardless of the engine revs!"

It's your car, you decide.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Dude, please, don't make me read that whole thing. ;)

My question was.....

Valve train? How would adding Nitrous create a significant strain on the Valve Train? (is it in the link you posted?)

I see lower-end strain, but can't understand your thinking on the upper-end.

I have a pretty good understanding of the internal combustion engine, I've built many race motors, what would adding HP to the engine do to that?

btw - I wouldn't even consider it for myself :D

Dude, please, don't make me read that whole thing. ;)

My question was.....

Valve train? How would adding Nitrous create a significant strain on the Valve Train? (is it in the link you posted?)

I see lower-end strain, but can't understand your thinking on the upper-end.

I have a pretty good understanding of the internal combustion engine, I've built many race motors, what would adding HP to the engine do to that?

btw - I wouldn't even consider it for myself :D

Dude??? LOLOL!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

It's in that link, yes, and it's in other links as well if you do the search as I explained.

Reading won't kill you, trust me on this one, DUDE!!! LOLOL!!!!!!!

Dude Again ;) are you a politician?

You should be... I've never seen anyone skirt a question so consistently.

I really don't have to read the article 'cause I already know the answer ;)

PLEASE explain your statement

I don't think the valve train will hold up very well on the 4.1 with nitrous...

WITHOUT refering it to something else, Your statement, stop the run-around and answer my Very first Question.

How is adding Nitrous going to effect the Valve train...?

Dude Again ;) are you a politician?

You should be... I've never seen anyone skirt a question so consistently.

I really don't have to read the article 'cause I already know the answer ;)

PLEASE explain your statement

I don't think the valve train will hold up very well on the 4.1 with nitrous...

WITHOUT refering it to something else, Your statement, stop the run-around and answer my Very first Question.

Dude, I didn't make the statement. Go back and re-read the quote and then direct your "comments" in the appropriate direction.

I simply offered up the ability to let you look it up yourself on the net.

As for building racing MOTORS, motors are electric. ;):D

Ahhh... It's all clear to me now... ;)

You're a Regurgitator of information you neither understand nor could possibly explain. I asked you a question, in an earnest attemp to hear your views, and your response is to tell me to do a "Google" search because that's all you can do... -even now, when called "on the carpet" for your statement, you can offer no explanation of your (sic) "valve theory" -hehe

GL ;)

Ahhh... It's all clear to me now... ;)

You're a Regurgitator of information you neither understand nor could possibly explain. I asked you a question, in an earnest attemp to hear your views, and your response is to tell me to do a "Google" search because that's all you can do... -even now, when called "on the carpet" for your statement, you can offer no explanation of your (sic) "valve theory" -hehe

GL ;)

The valve theory was not mine. LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!

Bye, Troll.......

DUDES, and others, I think he asked a legitimate question. If someone knows the answer, say so. If not don't dance around the issue and double speak! For what it's worth, if you run less than 50 h.p. and keep the mixture right it will be fine. I have run N2O on vehicles since 1979. All my off shore boat engines use it, I have a 100 lb. tank mounted on the port side of my engine compartment. I use 150 h.p. jets in the big block Chevy engines, but they are designed around it's use. I have run 250 on these with no engine problems (broke a drive once). A stock motor,excuse me, engine, will live fine with a 50 shot as long as mixture integrity is maintained! ;)

DUDES, and others, I think he asked a legitimate question. If someone knows the answer, say so. If not don't dance around the issue and double speak! For what it's worth, if you run less than 50 h.p. and keep the mixture right it will be fine. I have run N2O on vehicles since 1979. All my off shore boat engines use it, I have a 100 lb. tank mounted on the port side of my engine compartment. I use 150 h.p. jets in the big block Chevy engines, but they are designed around it's use. I have run 250 on these with no engine problems (broke a drive once). A stock motor,excuse me, engine, will live fine with a 50 shot as long as mixture integrity is maintained! ;)

My "opinion" is simply that an NOS should not be used. If you choose to use it and use it with success, then literally, more power to you. ;)

Many people run NOS successfully but can it be run successfully in a 4.1 engine, I believe that was the question. If you have the definative answer to this specific question, then offer up an answer if not, then try to help the person find the answer. That's what Google is for. It's not double speak or dancing around.

It was KHE who mentioned something regarding **valve train**. KHE's comment was questioned by RalPh but no answer was given by KHE. The "attacks" by RalPh were then directed toward me, even though I had nothing to do with the valve train comment and all I had originally suggested to the ORIGINAL POSTER, Josh, was to look it up on Google.

NOS can be very tricky to use and it can cause engine damage. I feel that people should empower themselves and research the subject for themselves and decide for themselves. If people don't have the answer on this forum, or choose to not give an answer for various reasons, including the possibility of liability, there are always other places to look for the answer after all, this is the Internet. But for someone to come here and start insulting people, even the wrong people, that's not going to win over many friends.

The valve train could be damaged by over-revving the engine with the nitrous shot. The 4.1, 4.5, and 4.9 are basically the same engine. Attached is a link from the old board.

http://caddysearch.netgetgoing.com/mbarchi...id=caddymb-9454

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The valve train could be damaged by over-revving the engine with the nitrous shot. The 4.1, 4.5, and 4.9 are basically the same engine. Attached is a link from the old board.

http://caddysearch.netgetgoing.com/mbarchi...id=caddymb-9454

KHE, way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even if you put in NOS, and it does run really fast, are you really going to find that many people to use it on?

I mean, my old car used to have NOS, and I could rarely find someone without NOS willing to race, it wasn't all that fun, just nice for the 1/4th and what not.

:rolleyes: The thought of Nitrous destroying my engine is detering me away from putting on my car... Instead the alternate idea for me would be propane injection. This sounds like a better safer and less damaging way to improve performance with out throwing out that much cash. What do you guys know about this and does it place any real harm to my engine if it is used correctly?

....Motors are electric, huh?  RIGHT....!!!  I guess that is why GM is called General MOTORS...???....right....because they put electric "motors" in their cars.  NOT.  Every engineer that I know interchanges the terms "motor" and "engine" and  there is no one that thinks "motors" are only electric.  Next there will be the followup discussion of whether it is "right" to run with the fog lights on when there is no fog...LOL

I guess I'll have to scan the pages from my Naval Engineering and Electronics books which is where I learned that motors are electric and engines are internal combustion mainly, gasoline and diesel. Even most dictionaries will describe motors as electric and engines as IC.

....Motors are electric, huh?  RIGHT....!!!  I guess that is why GM is called General MOTORS...???....right....because they put electric "motors" in their cars.  NOT.   Every engineer that I know interchanges the terms "motor" and "engine" and  there is no one that thinks "motors" are only electric.   Next there will be the followup discussion of whether it is "right" to run with the fog lights on when there is no fog...LOL

I guess I'll have to scan the pages from my Naval Engineering and Electronics books which is where I learned that motors are electric and engines are internal combustion mainly, gasoline and diesel. Even most dictionaries will describe motors as electric and engines as IC.

Technically you are correct, but the two terms have become interchangeable to the point that nobody even blinks when one says electric engine or gas motor, it just doesn't matter any more. On the N2O subject, I personally would not run it or any significant power adder on a 4.1, they just are not good candidates for high performance. You could probably get as much performance by swapping in a 4.9. ;)

Propane is a common power adder for diesel engines. As Guru has said I can't see any advantages using it in a gasoline internal combustion device.

If you feel your crank, rods, and pistons will handle the 35HP shot, go for it.

However if the car has high miles (and or) the potential of bearing wear, it could increase your chances of damage.

NOS not only increases peak cylinder pressure but makes it occur sooner. Closer to top dead center when the rod angle is more straight up. This increases the load on the rod, it's bearing, pin, and the crank. High HP nitros applications overcome this by retarding the ignition timing (and sometime adding fuel) when the shot is applied.

The only thing the valve train will see is slightly hotter exhaust valves and with a 35HP shot for short intervals I doubt it would be measurable.

Yes it could be done safely but doesn't sound practical to me.

Take it for what it's worth

BTW-just went back and read the post at the link above. Good advice on the colder plug Guru.

Archived