CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Anyone remember Blue Coral???

Anyone remember Blue Coral car wax??? Tiny jar lasted forever! Used it in the late 60's. (But then I suspect I used a LOT of stuff in the late 60's!!)

I just used Turtle Wax "Ice" on my car and granite countertops. Great stuff but what a bear to get off (buff) after drying!!

What's your favorite wax and why??

Edited by Dick J

Yeah I remember it. Liquid wax and paste sealer. An all day job. I think they still make Blue Coral, though it is not the same stuff as I recall. I've recently started using Meguires NXT and like it. Easy on, easy off, looks good and it lasts.

Yeah, I remember Blue Coral. I was about 18 when I first tried to get it off of my '62 Impala. I decided right then that I never wanted to own another can! NXT for me any day :D

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

However, I do still have a can of Johnson's Paste Floor Wax (yeah, I do stuff like that.) that I'll let go cheap!

It works on cars too.. :P

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Blue Coral also owned Slick 50 for many years, and the transition from independent to Blue Coral ownership started about 1975, when they dropped what seems to be a ZDDP formula that worked and started using the Slick 50 name with a Teflon powder formulation over the protests of DuPont, and started marketing a product that did NOT work as advertised. They continued using test results from their old formula. This, along with the fact that Slick 50 seemed to be just another quart of oil, resulted in an endless series of actions from the FTC (search on Blue Coral on FTC.gov) and eventually a lawsuit by the people that they bought their formula from before 1975, who is still around as XCell Plus. Sometime in the 1990's Slick 50 was acquired by Pennzoil/Quaker State, but I think it still may be a bogus formulation with Teflon powder.

Blue Coral's other care care products were all top-notch. It appears that the Slick 50 operation was separate from the car care business. I think they eventually dumped Slick 50 because it was giving them a bad name. They are still around and apparently have really good stuff:

http://www.bluecoral.com/

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I used to LOVE Blue Coral, if you let it dry, or did it in bright sun, you were in for lots of work. Wax technology has improved since then, but I liked it.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

• 13 years later...

Oh man do I remember blue coral. 
My uncle was an undertaker and as a kid, my job was to wash and wax his 2 limos and flower car. Summer, and occasionally in the winter in his heated garage.  What a biatch it was to get that stuff off, I truly earned my pay! But I earned good money cause he saw how darn hard I had to rub, enough to pay for a couple trips to California (I grew up and he was in Michigan) in my teens to visit other relatives. Can still recall how it smelled.  It was great stuff tho.