CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

VENTED BATTERY REPLACEMENT

I don't recall seeing any posts recently about vented battey replacement options, but imagine my surprise when neither GMPARTSDIRECT.COM or any local major chain (Sears, Auto Zone, Pep Boys, Murrays) carries a replacement battery for my '99 STS. What year did they first start putting the battery under the back seat? I know my '95 still had it under the hood. I sure that I'm not the first member to run into this situation, so I'm anxious to find out if there is an alternative to paying up the butt at the local dealership. What about one of those sealed Optimum jobs? Anyone go that direction?

The last time I needed one for my Allante I was able to find a vented Delco battery at K-Mart. When it finally dies, I plan on going to the Optima, I've heard that a lot of Allante owners have done this with good results. Hope this helps.

I purchased a Red Top Optima about a year ago for my 95 Concours. It died on me, but the free replacement seems to be working great. With the ability to mount anywhere, and probably cheaper than the dealer, I would go for one.

Its still a vented battery. There is a hose sytem that plugs into the top sides of the battery to vent the fumes.

'98 was the first year Cadillac with the battery under the seat.

I think the Olds Aurora was the first one...

I got my replacement at my local Cadillac dealler. $117. But we are on great terms with them also....

I was unable to locate a battery with the correct dimensions and the recommended CCA spec. other than ACDelco. Called 3 local Cadillac parts counters and told them I was price-shopping for the battery; best price was a little over $100 like Logan says.

My battery is still the original, but one of these days.... If you find a replacement other than ACDelco, let us know.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I placed an optima in my 98 seville ,best price locally was at O reilly auto parts, had to change the negative cable,it was a little short to reach the new terminal...Oreilly had a good, heavy one that worked really good. Really happy with the battery,have had it about 8 months. The system volts seem more stable,as the delco was very weak. ......Added a vector trickle charger under the seat and hard wired to battery,with a stub extension cord at the side of the rear seat. I was driving a company car and the sls sat for long periods. I would plug in the charger and let it keep the battery at full charge.....lots of onboard computers you know..............

Archived