CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Brakes

Jan Olsson

Im just curious, not really a problem...

I´ve noticed that after a couple of hard brakings (almost standing on the pedal) from 130 mph to 55 mph it seems like the brakes are fading.

Of course its normal for the brakes to get hot, but it seems like the pads I have now (think it is just AC-Delco pad kit) don´t perform as good as the AC-Delco Durastop I had the last time I changed pads.

I´ve recently cut the rotors and the pads are well braked in...

Except for the performance these ones seem to last much better than the durastop pads.

My question is if anyone has the Durastop performance pads on and if there is a noticable difference compared to the Durastop and the ordinary ones.

I would appreciate a price tag to ;)

ps...there was a little blob called Audi 1.8T who passed by me and had me chasing him... :ph34r:

A 93 STS whose brake pads seem to fade after a several 130 MPH stops? In a 4000 pound front driver? In an 11 year old car? Find ME pads that will not act this way, under these conditions, and I will buy them!!!

enough said!

Howyadoin,

Think it might be time to change the brake fluid? If it hasn't been changed in 11 years, it would probably benefit. The newer DOT4 fluid has a higher boiling point and resists moisture collection better. Don't try DOT5 fluid, as it may have problems with the residual DOT3 fluid still in the system after draining.

Even just fresh DOT3 will make an improvement, and be easier to get overseas, I'm sure.

Some people like specialty rotors, I'm pretty happy with the OEM stuff. I've never had a brake problem in either of my cars aside from a little warping from an aftermarket rotor. Once it got turned a second time it was fine for 30K, if I remember correctly.

I can't recall what pads I've used, Wagner if memory serves...

Good luck and keep spanking those Audis!

-Rav

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

"Refined Sugar" - '96 SLS, 175K

"...the Caddy is dedicated to relentlessly -- and comfortably -- converting time into distance." -J.J. Gertler

Howyadoin,

Think it might be time to change the brake fluid? If it hasn't been changed in 11 years, it would probably benefit. The newer DOT4 fluid has a higher boiling point and resists moisture collection better. Don't try DOT5 fluid, as it may have problems with the residual DOT3 fluid still in the system after draining.

Even just fresh DOT3 will make an improvement, and be easier to get overseas, I'm sure.

Some people like specialty rotors, I'm pretty happy with the OEM stuff. I've never had a brake problem in either of my cars aside from a little warping from an aftermarket rotor. Once it got turned a second time it was fine for 30K, if I remember correctly.

I can't recall what pads I've used, Wagner if memory serves...

Good luck and keep spanking those Audis!

-Rav

Hi

I think it´s time to change brake fluid. It feels like I´ve got some air in the system witch could propably be air or boiling fluid.

I´m going to change coolant fluid as well ;)

I really liked the old pads I had, just can´t remember what kind it was...

And to STYES...it doesn´t matter how old your car is, what matters is in what condition your equipment is in. I´m used to old cars ;)

My -87 Volvo had better brakes than this and I can feel the difference before I had these pads and the other I had, witch I unfortunately can´t remember the brand or type of...

Of course the brakes will fade, but not this fast :(

Jan

Archived