CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Driver Side Mirror works....

Marika

My driver side mirror is acting up. Moving up and down is no problem however, moving left and right it seems to be no longer working. Once in a while, it starts to work but for the most part, it has stopped.

Any ideas?

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

If it acts the same when you switch it to the pass. side its probably the switch. If its just the drivers side it could be wire connections or the mirror motor or the mirror not attached to the motor.

Bill's right, that is the quickest way to determine if it is a flat spot on the switch. Mine wouldnt move the drivers side out or the passenger mirror in. Good news, the replacement switches are inexpensive and just pop in and out. A cheap and easy fix-the best kind!

Well, it's not the switch. That would be too easy and inexpensive for me.

I understand the mirror uses two motors. Is there any way to change the motor or am I stuck having to buy a whole new mirror?

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

On my 94 you could not buy just the guts of the mirror, you had to buy the whole mirror. I was lucky and founr just the guts on Ebay for $20.00 and it worked fine.

Does the motor sound like it is running? If it does then you can replace the shafts that attach to the mirror. Sometimes these shafts(for lack of a better word) get stripped and will not turn with the motor. You will have to pop the mirror off and if the shafts come off with the mirror then you need just the shafts. They are inexpensive at around $5-$10 if I recall. Be very careful poping the mirror off because if you break it, it is about $300.00. Pry it off with a long screw driver carefully and pop it back on using a 2"x4" block of wood so you will distribute the force of popping it on evenly. There are 2 shafts to pop the mirror off of.

Archived