CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Merry Christmas to me.

Marika

Ed Fenwick was the only other head gasket that I can recall. Thats not to say that this is or isnt the head gasket. Competent testing needs to be done. Marida please see if you can find the receipt I think we suggested intake manifold gasket the last time you had problems, you need to see if it was changed. And tha tis not to say it couldnt be bad again, If this is a head gasket a simple compresson test will highlight the problem. I think the first line of attack should be getting a compression test then having the cooling system pressurized

I looked at the receipt, testing was done, pressure testing and whatever else had to be done. The mechanic SWORE there was no head gasket leak. Maybe it IS the intake manifold. How much should something like this cost in NEW JERSEY (previously known as the Garden State and renamed, the Overpriced State).

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know a good mechanic in South Jersey (near Philly) that could probably fix a bad intake gasket in a half day, once the parts were in. He did this for my wife's Pontiac 3.4 HO, which had the same problem but was just using a little coolant. The price was right; I don't recall the cost and that says it all. It's probably too far, but it shows that you CAN find these people. I think that they're easier to find out in the 'burbs.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I know a good mechanic in South Jersey (near Philly) that could probably fix a bad intake gasket in a half day, once the parts were in. He did this for my wife's Pontiac 3.4 HO, which had the same problem but was just using a little coolant. The price was right; I don't recall the cost and that says it all. It's probably too far, but it shows that you CAN find these people. I think that they're easier to find out in the 'burbs.

Around here, (northern New Jersey), there are probably several thousand people who hang out a sign that says they are a mechanic, certified, blah blah. The problem is finding a good mechanic who is not a thief. I'm hoping someone can recommend a few mechanics from Union county and north who they have dealt with, are competent, reasonably priced and not thieves.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

For what it's worth, i did have a 92 STS a few years back from which the headgasket failed for sure.

I could tell because of the bubbles in my coolant overflow tank when the engine was cooling down. it sometimes looked like a bubble bath!

But then again, i have been driving the car in that state for over a year before i got rid of it and it always performed fine.

If you are in complete control..... you are not going fast enough....

For what it's worth, i did have a 92 STS a few years back from which the headgasket failed for sure.

I could tell because of the bubbles in my coolant overflow tank when the engine was cooling down. it sometimes looked like a bubble bath!

But then again, i have been driving the car in that state for over a year before i got rid of it and it always performed fine.

I've seen bubbles in the recovery tank but nothing that's ever looked like a bubble bath. I see the bubbles right after I shut off the engine for about 2 minutes and then it stops.

Also, just a question, did the 92 STS have a 4.9 Litre engine or a Northstar?

I see the bubbles right after I shut off the engine for about 2 minutes and then it stops.

That sounds more like a head gasket than an intake.

Also, just a question, did the 92 STS have a 4.9 Litre engine or a Northstar?

I think the '92 had the 4.9.

yes the 92 had a 4.9.

they started with the Northstar from mid 93.

so there are some 93's with a 4.9 and the later models are equipped with the Northstar.

I think in 93 the Northstar was an option which could be bought.

Marc.

edit:

i had the 'normal'bubbles in the beginning and it got worse over time evolving to a bath although a bath is a bit exagurated..

If you are in complete control..... you are not going fast enough....

The 295 HP Northstar debuted in the Allante early, in the spring of 1992, and in the STS and ETC in 1993. The 270 hp came out in 1993 and was used on some Seville and Eldorado models other than the STS and ETC. From 1994 on the Northstars were in all the Sevilles and Eldorados. It took another few years for the Northstar to move to the Devilles.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Perhaps you can give me this mechanic's name and phone number. I could call the mechanic and see if he perhaps knows someone up around Northern New Jersey who could look at my car.

Before there is a rush to replace the engine, remember that the 4.9 engine has coolant AND exhaust passages in the intake manifold. That's how the EGR valve regulates the amount of EGR into the air/fuel mix. 4.x engines are NOT known for head gasket failures. An intake manifold gasket is most likely the cause of the problem. Before replacing the engine, junking the car, etc., a tech competent with the 4.9 needs to look at it and properly diagnose the problem.

I will bet the problem is just a failed intake manifold gasket. That is easily replaced with the engine in the car and will be a lot less than a replacement engine and the cost to install it.

Before rushing to judgement, you need to take the time to have it properly diagnosed without an unscrupulous dealer taking advantage of the situation.

Kevin,

What are the distinctive symptoms of a failed intake gasket versus a failed head gasket? I too think it is rather the intake gasket based on reliable statitistics of 4.9 failures. I can recall barely two cases of blown headgaskets on 4.*.

Thank you.

Both failures can result in overheating and coolant in the oil but usually, a head gasket will really be bad by the time it allows coolant into the oil. It would also be leaking externally. A bad intake gasket will dump coolant into the oil in the 4.9 since there is coolant passages in the manifold. Exhaust gasses can also enter the cooling system since there is an exhaust passage in the manifold for the EGR valve.

It will be evident once the intake manifold is removed where the failure point of the gasket is. Another thought would be to block off the ports in the heads once the intake was removed and pressurize the cylinders through the spark plug holes. A plate would need to be fabricated and a piece or rubber sheet used as a temporary gasket.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Well here is the scoop, we may need to do some more collecting.

Lakewood has a 1995 4.9 out of a very clean Deville with 85,000 miles on it, he thinks he might be able to start it, if we want to hear it, but he may have heard it run already, he needs to go and see the car. The price of the engine is $500. While the mileage is a little high, he said that a scan of the computer he found other 4.9s, but higher mileage. At 85,000 miles, this engine is fine in my opinion.

Installation is $600, and the installer is very good friends with Scott from Lakewood and he does excellent work. If we went this route, I would do a final inspection on the car, checking for oil line leaks, wiring routing, leaks, and performance.

Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I can go to see the engine on Friday morning, if my company allows me to take off the day. Mike

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Lakewood has a 1995 4.9 out of a very clean Deville with 85,000 miles on it, he thinks he might be able to start it, if we want to hear it, but he may have heard it run already, he needs to go and see the car. The price of the engine is $500. While the mileage is a little high, he said that a scan of the computer he found other 4.9s, but higher mileage. At 85,000 miles, this engine is fine in my opinion.

Installation is $600, and the installer is very good friends with Scott from Lakewood and he does excellent work. If we went this route, I would do a final inspection on the car, checking for oil line leaks, wiring routing, leaks, and performance.

Mike

My '92 Seville is OBD or OBD I, is that '95 engine going to have a problem with the older style computers in my '92?

Mike

My '92 Seville is OBD or OBD I, is that '95 engine going to have a problem with the older style computers in my '92?

A 4.9 is a 4.9, all 4.9's are OBDI. Its a terrific thing putting a 95 engine into a 92 car... No problem at all,

Matt, in Northern NJ had a problem and replaced his 92 engine with a 95 that I got for him. All 4.9s are the same

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...c=5497&st=0

I just got off the phone with someone who I trust as an exceptional engine rebuilder. He offers a warrant on his engines that exceed the warranty offered by general motors on their rebuilt engines. Anyway, here's what he says:

The 4.9 litre engine is a nice engine but it was in one sense poorly designed. Head gasket failures he has NEVER seen, he has also NEVER seen intake manifold failures on the 4.9. What he says causes the loss of antifreeze in these engines is the gaskets surrounding the sleeves of the cylinders, it's a rubber gasket that rots and this is where the antifreeze is lost.

He has no 4.9 litre engines in stock so mine would have to be rebuilt. Takes about 10 business days and $3,500 is the complete price, this includes the removal of the engine, entire rebuild and replacement of the engine, testing etc. The warranty is 3 years, unlimited mileage and it's a FULL warranty, customer never pays anything during the warranty period. (GM limited warranty is 3 years, 50,000 miles).

EDIT: Mike's second post said it all:

Sorry to hear this Marika. I think this is the first 4.9 I have heard that had a head gasket problem, she is a 16 year old car now, the sleeves utilize rubber o-rings which has been a source of internal leaks. How many miles did it have? I am sorry to hear this, Mike

Just to add a clarification, it is not the intake manifold that fails its the intake manifold gasket that fails, the cheapest thing to look at is the intake manifold gasket, if you look at the link I gave above, you will see that the guru himself suggested that the intake manifold gasket was Matt's problem, its a COMMON problem on the 4.9 as many others have suggested.

Marika, pull your oil dip stick and see where the oil level is on the stick. A coolant leak that bad would raise the 'oil' level, although it does sound like you are getting coolant in your oil based on the color you see

So if I am following the quotes, thus far the options are either

a) abandon the vehicle and ride the bus $0

B) put in a used $500 engine for $600 install = $1,100

c) rebuild the existing engine by a trusted mechanic $3,500

d) head gasket repair by dealer $4,500 (max price?)

e) replacement vehicle 92 STS $1500 (but might have new problems); example: http://dallas.craigslist.org/car/507690863.html

f) Mini Cooper $15K-22k

The rebuild still sounds great. It is also important to note the total value of the vehicle and

not put more in the repair than the replacement cost of the car however. It appears at

$1100 that the repair would be under the replacement cost.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

So if I am following the quotes, thus far the options are either

a) abandon the vehicle and ride the bus $0

B) put in a used $500 engine for $600 install = $1,100

c) rebuild the existing engine by a trusted mechanic $3,500

d) head gasket repair by dealer $4,500 (max price?)

e) replacement vehicle 92 STS $1500 (but might have new problems); example: http://dallas.craigslist.org/car/507690863.html

f) Mini Cooper $15K-22k

The rebuild still sounds great. It is also important to note the total value of the vehicle and

not put more in the repair than the replacement cost of the car however. It appears at

$1100 that the repair would be under the replacement cost.

The other thing that needs to be thought about is that the car itself has lots of new parts such as 4 new struts, tires, rear bumper energy absorbers, new third brake light, new radio antenna, new starter motor, new radiator, new water pump, new catalytic converter and other goodies that I would have to pull out the invoice file to see what's been put into the car. A lot of new items in the car increases its value which is what makes it so difficult for me to dump the car and take the bus instead. I've put so much $$$ into this car that it makes me want to scream thinking about the possibility that this car will go to an early grave. The body of this car just has a few dings and tiny scratches, nothing that can't be dealt with using a bit of touch up paint and a polishing wheel. There is NO rust or rot. If I had the money I would go with the rebuild not only because it will give me an engine that will last well into many years from now but because the overall condition of the car would warrant it. If the car were rusted or rotted or I didn't take care of it these past few years then I would probably go with the cheapest solution, but this has not been the case. That's just my two cents.

Just to add a clarification, it is not the intake manifold that fails its the intake manifold gasket that fails, the cheapest thing to look at is the intake manifold gasket, if you look at the link I gave above, you will see that the guru himself suggested that the intake manifold gasket was Matt's problem, its a COMMON problem on the 4.9 as many others have suggested.

Marika, pull your oil dip stick and see where the oil level is on the stick. A coolant leak that bad would raise the 'oil' level, although it does sound like you are getting coolant in your oil based on the color you see

I meant to say intake manifold GASKET failure. I left out the word GASKET. Sorry :wipetears

I meant to say intake manifold GASKET failure. I left out the word GASKET. Sorry :wipetears

See these as additional support that the intake can leak coolant. There is another thread going on right now where the poster thinks he is dripping coolant from a head bolt I think its dripping and running from the intake manifold. These engines are old now and gaskets need replacing.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=87241

http://www.2carpros.com/makes/cadillac1.htm

Question: 1992 Cadillac sedan Deville 4.9 mileage: 116,000. I have had the water pump replaced, hoses replaced, and the radiator tested. I still have to put antifreeze in the overflow jug every two to three day's. They also put it on a pressure test. I cannot find the leak. Floorboard is dry on passenger side also. There is no steam or vapors coming out of tailpipe indicating cracked head gasket. Also oil looks fantastic. There is never a trace of antifreeze on the driveway. I have followed the car to see if it is leaking during acceleration and nothing. Please help before I drive this car off a cliff.

Answer: The magic cure for your car is very simple. Cadillac recommends add a special cooling system sealer whenever the coolant is changed. We have had the best results with the sealer that is sold at the Cadillac dealer.

I have been loosing coolant for two years as well. About a pint per 3.000 - 5.000 miles. I was unable to trace it. The good thing is that it did not get worse. I replace coolant partially every year by siphoning through the radiator neck. Every time I do that I add a tube of Bar's Leaks powder.

Looks like my intake gasket is bad too. Let's see how long it is going to last...

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I have been loosing coolant for two years as well. About a pint per 3.000 - 5.000 miles. I was unable to trace it. The good thing is that it did not get worse. I replace coolant partially every year by siphoning through the radiator neck. Every time I do that I add a tube of Bar's Leaks powder.

Looks like my intake gasket is bad too. Let's see how long it is going to last...

I'm losing close to a gallon in about 5 to 7 days. I've also added the Bar's Stop Leak to see if that will help.

My 89 (4.5) did the same thing, turned out the water pump leaked ever so slightly and only at highway speed, never left a drop on the ground.Then it got WEIRD! I started getting the "Battery No Charge" dealer says blown fuse days later fuse blows again, dealer stumped :mellow: Happens again at the beach, pull into the dealership there, takes the tech 2 minutes diagnosis bad water pump! It leaked into the a/c clutch causing it to short and blow the fuse the Alt. also happened to be on. That why I don't rule ANYTHING out.

Marika, hope it turns out to be something that simple. And I'm good for 50.00 as soon as I get my paypal password back ^_^

Archived