CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Air Mix Door Problem

CaddyDaddy

:angry: I am having a problem with my heater in a '89 SeVille.

Everytime I try to get some cool are from the vents its always HOT! I ran the on-board diagnostics and it spits out a B440 code (Air Mix Door Problem). I have checked all the vacuum motors and they all work correctly with the change of the climate controls. Does anyone know of a heater water valve which restricts coolant flow to the heater core on this year and model and if so where is it located. I have looked the part up and seen a picture but it has no electrical, vacuum or cable connection to it and make me think it would be the wrong part. Has anyone ever had this problem before?? Please help!!!

Thanks.

:angry: I am having a problem with my heater in a '89 SeVille.

Everytime I try to get some cool are from the vents its always HOT! I ran the on-board diagnostics and it spits out a B440 code (Air Mix Door Problem). I have checked all the vacuum motors and they all work correctly with the change of the climate controls. Does anyone know of a heater water valve which restricts coolant flow to the heater core on this year and model and if so where is it located.  I have looked the part up and seen a picture but it has no electrical, vacuum or cable connection to it and make me think it would be the wrong part. Has anyone ever had this problem before?? Please help!!!

Thanks.

If it's anything like the Deville, there will be a threaded rod with an eyehook at one end that attaches to the levers on the mix controller and the heater box. It has a tendancy to detach itself every once in awhile causing it to go to full blast (90 degree setting) hot.

The other problem can be the mix controller itself not working. Find the controller, it's about the size of a pack of smokes with a white lever on it and go back and forth between 60 and 90 degrees on the climate control panel. If it doesn't move then the controller is bad and you need to replace it.

PS: I would like to know if the 4.5's 4.9's have a heater core diverter if anyone knows.

Thanks for the input people. I have looked at the vacuum motors and when I move the climate control from 60-90 I do notice the motor working and seems as if the rods move too but i am unsure if they are connected to what they should be. I'll have to look a little closer I guess. This will be the 4th or 5th time i have took it apart to look. It almost seems like I will have to take the dash all part to get a better look at things. But I guess it will be worth it. Also does anyone know of this so called heater water valve? It is supposed to bnlock the coolant from entering the heater core. Thanks agian everyone!

Sounds like a plan. Thanks agian for the input. I never thought to look in the glove box, but that does make since its closer to the heater core. I was looking just above the brake and gas pedal. I could see all the motors but couldn't see where these rods go. I have to take a peek later on when i get home to see if this fixes my problem. It really sucks when your crusing in the summer there is nothing but the heater to cool you off. With all the windows downyour still burning up. I take the glove box out and see where this leads me. Thanks agian!

Bbobynski you are the crap. Problem fixed!! I pulled the glove box out and I saw exactly what you explained. The problem was about a year ago the door chime was going crazy it would just ding for no reason when i was driving. So I decided to unhook it to elimate this anoying ding. Well I had to unmount it in order to unplug the connector and like a moron I just laid in back in there not mounting it back up or throwing it in the trunk. So since I just laid it in there it most have rattled itself right in the way of the air mix door rod. Man I feel stupid, but hey it was an easy fix. Thanks to you Bbobynski!! Appreciate the help people. Now I now that my air is ice cold too which surprised me after feeling nothing but heat.

Thanks agian!

Archived