CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Trouble Starting

with1l

We recently purchased a 1996 Cadillac Deville Concours with 165,000 miles on it.

The car starts right up without a problem when the engine is completely cold. However, once we shut it off and restart it, the car gives us a problem and takes several key turns to start.

Also, when driving at higher speeds, it sounds like there are basketballs bouncing in the front end.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Thank you!

~ Michele

Welcome to the board!

I would check out old archives for "Fuel Pressure Regulator", "FPR" , "problem starting". etc. Look for similar symptoms.

As for the basketballs under the hood sounds like wheel/tire balance problem.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

OK Michele, I have made some research in old archives for you:

Certainly could be the fuel pressure regulator. Very easy to check yourself....just pull the vacuum hose off the fuel pressure regulator and check for the presence of gasoline. There should be none. Start the engine with the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator and watch for fuel leaking out the vacuum nipple on the fuel pressure regulator. There should be none.

***---REPLIED TO MESSAGE BELOW---***

Sounds like the classic leaking fuel pressure regulator. If so, fuel is acuumulating in the intake manifold after you shut off the car. When cold or standing for a while the extra fuel is no problem-but warm engine, it is. You should do an archive search on fuel pressure and have someone test your fuel pressure.

Jim

***---REPLIED TO MESSAGE BELOW---***

I have 130K on my car. Lately, it has been hard to start when in the heated garage or the engine is warm. It takes 3 or 4 trys and then it starts. Whenit is very cold, it starts on the first try.

Does anyone know what is happening?

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

• 4 weeks later...

Archived