CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Input Speed Sensor- Bypass

btk03

Does anybody know how to make the computer think that the Input Speed Sensor is operating normal? I have had this code for over 2 years now and when I clear the code, it automatically comes right back on. The reason I need it cleared, is that in Illinois they will not check emissions if there is any kind of OBDII alarm. To have the Speed Sensor Replaced is not feasible for a high mileage car, especially since it has appeared to be operating normally over the last two years.

Thanks

Bill...

I saw the price is $44.00 (autozone.com) for the sensor and to replace it should be easy enough, they are usually on the outside of the transmission.

If you are talking about a wheel speed sensor then you have to replace the bearing assembly.

What codes are you getting, push Off and Warmer together on the climate control panel and tell us of the codes you get.

2 different sensors.

The VSS. Vehicle speed sensor is outside of the trans. Easy fix.

Transmission input speed sensor. Its very deep inside the trans. The running joke is '$20 part, $2000 deep.'

Sorry guys, I should have posted the code...171- Input Speed Sensor for a 1996 STS. I took it back in today for a re-test. I was able to clear the code just before the emissions tech moved the car to the testing point, which was about 15-20 feet. The code stays off as long as you do not drive over a 1/4 mile.

The problem now is that it did not fail, but it was rejected, it did not have enough miles on since I cleared the codes to register what the sensors were reading on the OBDII. So basically I am back where I started. I am trying to get in contact with someone, being a state facility good luck, to let them know that this sensor should have nothing to do with emissions. The worse case scenario is the car might RPM a little higher than normal during highway travel.

Thanks again for the responses.

Bill...

Archived