CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hey all, I'm thinkin' real hard about a '92 Vette!

Flyer

any advice or remarks regarding my decision to purchase a '92 LT1 Convertible Corvette would be appreciated.

I understand that these are 300+HP cars? I am dying to cruise around this summer in a conv. Vette. Automatic, Dark Green with tan int. and top.

--Flyer

'99 'Vert 'Vette 45k

'97 SLS 55k

Deceased: <'68 Mustang 200+k>, <'86 GMC S-10 180+k>, <'86 VW GTI 180+k>, <'86 Seville 195+k>, <'93 Seville 175+k>

user posted image

I have a 1970 LT-1 Vette that I bought new in 1970.

I still have it and still love it.

A Caddy and a Vette make a great combination.

Go for it !!!!!!!!!

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Flyer,

Let me offer some thoughts on this topic. . .

If you are seriously considering purchasing a C4 Corvette convertible of this vintage, I would suggest that you opt for a '95 or '96 model.

Here's why:

The '94+ C4 models offered a "mass air" engine management system, which will be more readily responsive to any "power adding" modifications, as opposed to the "speed density" system used in '92 & '93. The '94 Corvette was also the first GM model to offer comprehensive, ODBII-level self diagnostics.

A heated glass rear window for the convertibles was added in '94, whereas the previous years used a scratch-prone, unheated plastic window.

All of the LT1 engines used the Optispark distributor, which experienced problems due to internal moisture in '92 - '94 model years. An engine vacuum venting system was added to the distributor for '95, and this improved reliability.

Finally, there apparently were some major efforts made to improve interior "squeak and rattle" performance for all '95+ C4 models.

Keep in mind that all LT1 engines use reverse flow cooling systems, which makes coolant changes more problematic from the standpoint of releasing trapped air from the system. (Our resident GM powertrain expert "bill bobynski" described this all in detail once before, on the old website.) I'm unsure when the DexCool long life coolant was introduced into C4 Corvettes, but it was probably '94.

Also, be aware that LT1 engines have a reputation for leaking oil from the rear of the intake manifold. This can be a maddening problem, and I personally dealt with it on a '96 Trans Am, which used the same engine. Some people can tolerate fluid leaks, but I am not one of them! If you're the same way, watch out for this problem on any LT1 (or LT4) Corvette model that you might be considering.

I don't know if I'll ever acquire another C4 Corvette, but if I did, it would probably be an '89 or '96 coupe, or a '93 - '95 ZR1. (Convertibles are not my style.)

Even if you decide to buy the '92, I'm sure you'll still be very happy with it. After all, how can you go wrong with any Corvette?! ;)

Good luck!

RDWRIOR

'03 STS (daily driver)

'01 STS (undriven, being prepared for "war on the open road")

'84 C4 Corvette (undergoing a "rolling restification")

Thank you road warrior for the information, please read my post titled "New Corvette"

--Flyer

'99 'Vert 'Vette 45k

'97 SLS 55k

Deceased: <'68 Mustang 200+k>, <'86 GMC S-10 180+k>, <'86 VW GTI 180+k>, <'86 Seville 195+k>, <'93 Seville 175+k>

user posted image

Archived