CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How to make a backup of the GM Navigation Disc

umoms

I just made a copy of my newest map disk the other day Hunt around the net & find a program called IMGBURN it's free I have other programs such as nero7 & that works fine too. Just copy it to your hard disk & then burn it You can't shrink the GM NAv dsk like dvd movies I used DVD+R DL 8.5GB disks no problem I 'm using the copy in my car & it works fine

Good Luck

I just made a copy of my newest map disk the other day Hunt around the net & find a program called IMGBURN it's free I have other programs such as nero7 & that works fine too. Just copy it to your hard disk & then burn it You can't shrink the GM NAv dsk like dvd movies I used DVD+R DL 8.5GB disks no problem I 'm using the copy in my car & it works fine

Good Luck

I used Nero and made a image of the Original Disc and burnt it onto a Verbatim DL disc and it did not work. I heard the GM Nav discs have special protection to prevent this.

DimDTS is using double-sided (8.5 GB) DVDs. Maybe that's the issue here, copies must be to double-sided media. I don't have a drive that supports dobule-sided media.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I have many copy programs that I use I may copy with one & burn with another.

On the last GM NAV CD I copied the other day & It’s an ORIGINAL GM MAP DVD IT IS the latest MAP CD. I used IMGBURN to copy & IMGBURN to write the cd & I had NO ISSUES I have the copied map dvd in my nav systen & the ORIGINAL CD is stored as a master The copied CD is in my unit & works fine.

USE IMGBURN use the read feature to copy & the write feature to BURN it is a very easy program to use.

I EVEN USED CHEAP OFFICE DEPOT BLANK DVD MEDIA DVD+R DL 8.5GB

USE “IMGBURN”

Get the program & make a copy it’s free & it WORKS

Maybe you have other issues bad media your burner can't read the media etc not all burners & media work as advertised You can try updating your burners firmware, change media etc etc

Good Luck

End of story

Your burner must support DL media to copy DL DVD images, and the burners supplied with most computers don't, unless you ask for an upgrade. If you have an ordinary DVD burner and copy a DL media, you will get a nice copy of the top layer with no apparent problems but it won't work.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Your burner must support DL media to copy DL DVD images, and the burners supplied with most computers don't, unless you ask for an upgrade. If you have an ordinary DVD burner and copy a DL media, you will get a nice copy of the top layer with no apparent problems but it won't work.

Ok let me reiterated I am very computer literate. My burner does DL discs. I have burned thousands of DL dvd's in the past. Can you post what your steps were in burning.

I used DVD Decrypter to create and ISO image, then I used Roxio Easy Media Creator to burn the ISO to disc... These discs are copy protected and DVD Decrypter works wonderfully, and best of all it's a free program...

• 3 years later...

I made a copy of the 2009 Navigation DVD using a Memorex DVD+R Double Layer.

On two occasions (using a new DVD each time), I tried making the copy with ImgBurn but was unsuccessful. Then I tried CloneDVD and it worked the first time. All I changed in Preferences was to selected the slowest write speed based on what I read. Otherwise, I didn't need to change settings, including selecting "Book Type" to DVD-ROM. The file I burned was an ISO image, which I created with DVD Decrypter. Now I'm using my copy and will keep the OEM DVD in a safe place. I'm no expert on making backup navigation DVDs, but I thought I would pass along what I did.

UPDATE: I ran into problems with my navigation DVD copy I mentioned above crashing. Apparently, the copy was not without data problems.

So I decided to try again, this time I downloaded Free ISO Creator and created another ISO file. Also, note that Free ISO Creator does not mention having decrypting capability to disable copy protection. But I thought I would give it a try anyway since someone in a forum I read posted that GM navigation DVDs do not have copy protection. After making the ISO, I used the same DVD copying software that I used previously, which is CloneDVD2. Also, I changed the copy write speed to 4X instead of 1X because I was suspicious that 1x might be too slow. I used 1X because I read that this is the speed to use to eliminate the possibility of write errors. Yet, all of my attempts to make a navigation DVD copy have failed when using 1X speed. This morning I tried to make one more copy with 1x only to have it stall when it reached 19% completed. So, this evening I burned another copy, but this time I set the write speed at 4X and the copy was successful. I also tried it out in my STS and it is working great so far. There were no hangups and the map moves smoothly without any hesitation or pauses. I will continue to monitor how well this copy is working and post results. My advice is to not necessarily think that setting write speed at 1X is optimal for copying. Some DVD burners may have a problem with 1X write speed and therefore set it higher.

Again, this backup copy is for my personal use and I own the GM original version.

Archived