CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Couple of questions

palliator

Hi folks. I have a '93 STS with 43k miles on the clock. I haven't had it a year yet, but I've put about 3500 miles on it. Runs perfect, but a couple of things that bother me. First, the infamous "rotten egg" smell I sometimes get. Today I was passing somebody and could definitely smell it. Usually I smell it when I park it in the garage, but this time a lead foot had me smelling it temporarily as I was driving. It went away quick. I'm not sure changing fuels have ever made any difference, but I usually use Sunoco 93 octane. I don't care about the smell really as it doesn't occur all of the time, but I'm not convinced this is normal. I even had to replace an O2 sensor that tripped the SES light a while back, but that didn't correct the odor problem (running rich?). Second question, my transmission shifts hard sometimes. It is a little rough from first to second, but it is quite noticeable from second to third. I've never noticed a shift to fourth. Today after my little "foot to pedal" incident I really noticed the shifts when accelerating from a complete stop (at the stop lights). The car even feels like it jerks a bit as if shifting too aggresively. I can be very gentle on the pedal and still notice the shift feeling more "lively" then normal. Later on my road trip the shifts were less noticeable. In general during my normal driving I still notice it sometimes. Sometimes the car shifts so smooth I don't feel anything. I've found no pattern so far. Any suggestions? I get no SES lights, nothing else seems to be a problem. Quite frustrating!

The rotton egg smell is likely the catalytic converter failing. It needs to be tested to be sure. These converters are very long lived, but yours may have gotten contaminated. If it does test bad I would replace it with the OEM converter.

You also need to see what codes have been set, this will help diagnose the converter and shifting problems.

Get a pen and paper in hand to write down the error codes that are recorded.

With the key in the on position, press and hold the Off and Warmer button until the digtal display starts the readout (about 5 seconds). You will see blue lights accross the bottom of the panel.

As the codes display write them down. To exit the diagnostic mode press Auto.

Post the codes here for replies.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

I agree with Growe3, the cat comverter may need changing...they normally last about 10 years. I also ahd that had shifting at one time in my '93. I noticed it always occurred after agressive stop and go driving. Normally, when I re-start, the harsh shifting disappears. I would check the tranny fluid level and change fluid if not changed in the last 25,000 miles. Do not flush, just change.

About not feeling it shift to fourth gear, most drivers would rarely feel that shift. At about 75 mph your tach should be reading around 2,500 rpm, that would be fourth gear. You can also manually shift it from 3 to 4 on a hwy entry ramp at about 5,000 rpm :D

GM cars with V8s can be a little stinky. Big engine....little cat. I would just leave it alone.

Thanks for the input everyone. I can live with the smell as it doesn't occur that often, but I do have to keep that in check. A cat, while not cheap, isn't the end of the world for me if indeed that is the problem. My car has no current or history codes at present. I checked through them before and cleared as I corrected. My car only had 39k when I bought and it sat for a long time. The only codes I remember was for "throttle angle too high" and the one for the front O2 sensor being faulty. No other history codes were present at that time as I remember (definitely nothing related to the transmission). I've gotten quite familiar with playing around with the diagnostics. After replacing the ISC motor, O2 sensor, and a thorough cleaning those current codes are now history. As for the tranny, I already changed the fluid. The level looks good as it always has. No discoloration, smell, and etc. The transmission acts the same. I'm no mechanic by any means, so I don't know why the car behaves this way sometimes. It's not horrible, but I want to make sure I am not slowly racking up an expensive repair by driving it this way. For some reason, nobody I've spoken to about it seems to think it's that big of a problem! <_<

Archived