CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Wheel offset and bolt pattern???

SaltyDawg

Hey guys, I have a 1997 Deville. Not the Concours, but a regular 1997 Deville. I want to buy some 20" rims with some 155x35x20 tires. Does anyone know what bolt pattern and offset I need to look for? I don't want the tires to rub when I turn. Thanks.

115x5 bolt pattern. you're going to want a FWD wheel. they generally have a 35+ offset. 20s will rub a little on tight turns anyhow.

115x5 bolt pattern. you're going to want a FWD wheel. they generally have a 35+ offset. 20s will rub a little on tight turns anyhow.

You say 20's will rub??,...not if you maintain factory offset, diameter and tread width, ....this is what impacts rubbing, not aspect ratio.

Does anyone know what offset, etc I would need to maintain to get 20's to not rub? I was thinking about getting 155x35x20 tires on 20 " rims. What would I need to look for to not rub?

Try this site for a definition:

http://www.usacomp.com/Offset.htm

Not sure what you mean by "155x35x20 tires on 20 " rims". Most tires are designated by tread width, a slash, the aspect ratio, and finally the rim diameter. As a for instance, my '93 STS came with stock P225/60ZR16 tires with a 42mm (1.75") positive offset and a 70mm (2.75") center bore.

This yields a nominal 26.63" outer tire diameter, that is [(225x.6x2)/25.4]+16. It is difficult to maintain this tread width and the outer tire diameter on a 20" rim, the closest you can get is 26.20" OD on a P225/35R20, or 27.09" OD on a P225/40R20 tire. really, the best fit is a P245/35R20, which yields a 26.75" OD. Of course, this is all based on my OEM tire size, yours may be different on a "97 Deville, but probably, not by much (your proabably have stock 17" rims). I always prefer to go wider, but you should then consider splitting the difference with the tread width, by adjusting the offset.

The biggest issue will be selecting the right tire, based on only a finite numbers of offests available for a gien wheel design. It really takes some thought, and process of elimination. I actually turned my steering wheel in both maximum conditions to see how forgiving the wheel well was, relative to where I wanted to throw the aditional tread width.

20" rims hey,...I guess your plan on spending some money, your probably looking at around $ 800/rim. This guy was coming out of Bally's the other day and getting into a Tahoe with 22" rims. I stopped to admire his rims, which were $ 2400/each, plus another $800 for each tire. His SUV was riding on $ 13,000 worth of rubber and wheels. He said he was getting ready to buy some 24" rims (which means new tires), and when I asked him what he was going to do with the existing set, he stated he would probably store them.

Archived