CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

AC

modeng

I am having trouble refilling my AC. I have bought all of the necessarry hoses and equipment. I followed the instructions, but when I hook it up, the compressor will not start up and pull from the refrigerant bottle. I have been told that what is probably happening is the refrig is so low that it will not let the compressor engage. Does anyone know how to make the system pull for the refrig bottle? I am not mechanically smart, I was jsut tols that this is an easy procedure to do yourself and could save $100. I heard that there was a way to bypass the compressor or make it cycle, I don't knwo if this is what needs done or not. I don't know how to do that anyway. Is it hopeless for me? Should I just take it to the shop?

This is m first time posting. i appreciate any help I can get on this.

Thanks.

Chad.

You are correct and it is not hopeless. Get the can hooked up and ready to go. Before you start the car, enter the diagnostics by simultaneously pressing and holding the OFF & WARMER buttons til the DIC lights up all segments as a check. The release the buttons and it will sequence thru the DTC's. When it finishes it will ask PCM? answer yes by pressing the Hi FAN button. Answer no with the LOW FAN button to the next prompts till it asks CLEAR CODES? then answer yes again. Now your compressor will run when you start the car and turn on the A/C and will probably pull refrigerant in before the low refrigerant code sets again. If by chance the code sets again just repeat the process till you get enough in there to stop setting the code. I am not sure how many cans it will take but I would guess 2. When you have the codes cleared and are ready to charge the system have one person holding the can upside down and ready to charge as a liquid so it will charge quickly before restting codes and a second person start the car.

I haven't had to recharge my caddy yet, so I'm not exactly sure whats involved, but I did my truck (r134) and all I had to do was put a jumper wire across the 2 pins on the pressure switch to tell the compressor to come on. Look into that if what Larry told you did not work. Tom

Archived