CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Brake vibration

Phillip

I have s slight vibrations during braking that feels like a warped rotor. I suspect the fronts since I feel it in the steering wheel. I checked the run-out and found that one side was less than 0.001" and the other side was just under 0.002". These are within factory spec. Is that enough to cause vibration?

Unfortunately I don't have a caliper to check the thickness of the rotors. They are less than a year old so I doubt that there is enough wear to make them vary too much. Does this make sense?

We have had extensive discussions about this and someone had a link to brake analysis that was excellent. Its not the run out thats causing your problem its the thickness of the rotor facing. The pulsing comes from the varying thickness. Additionally rotors can get areas where a transfer of brake material occurs and the areas or spots look like burned or discolored areas and cause a 'grabby' feeling as the spot passes the pads. I have the same problem you discuss and need to pull my rotors and have a 'clean-up' resurface done, but nothing major. I usually say just true them up. Taking off too much material causes the rotors to be susceptible to warping, so if you do it yourself tell them you are just cleaning them up. If I can get it I ask them to finish them with a non-directional finish the pads seat better. Then you must do the bedding procedure. Search for bedding procedure and look at how Guru explains it. Mike

Early on sailors navigated by the stars at night and the North star became the symbol for finding ones way home. Once you know where the Northstar is you can point your ship in the right direction to get home. So the star became a symbol for finding ones way home or more symbolically even finding ones path in life.

Thanks Larry, that is exactly what I was referring to, great article, Mike

post-3-1082916059.jpg

Early on sailors navigated by the stars at night and the North star became the symbol for finding ones way home. Once you know where the Northstar is you can point your ship in the right direction to get home. So the star became a symbol for finding ones way home or more symbolically even finding ones path in life.

Mike, nice seville 91... too bad you do not drive her ....

adallak, Thanks! I feel the same way about it, I love that car its amazing. Its not a lost cause yet. I am thinking about re-doing the roof myself. A friend of mine has a high-quality spray gun. It is a total loss the way it currently looks with the fusible link problem. It is on the LONG list of stuff I have to do, but I can feel it getting closer. I have a lot of new parts sitting in a box. If I can bring her (yes, its a her with Michelin Pilots) back to life I would be happy to sell it to someone who will appreciate her. That car handles incrediblely I can't wait to replace the rear struts I have new ones in a box... How do you like your's? Thanks, Mike

post-3-1082921458.jpg

Phillip,

Sounds like it's the fronts as you said, but if you suspect it *might* be the rears there's an easy check that is pretty accurate.

Simply brake with the parking brake so as to engage only the rear brakes. If there's no vibration then it's likely the fronts causing your problem (make sure there's no one behind you when you brake without stoplights ;) ).

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Mike, yesterday I selebrated four year anniversary of my Seville 91! I have made 60kmiles since, had great and not that great times with him (I believe it is a boy!)

This car was my FIRST CAR! The company I have started with in this country gave me rental Ford Focus, but I am kinda guy who do not want to depend on anybody, so I bought this Caddy and drove two cars for s a couple of months. I wanted only an American car and after a little resaerch figured out Cadillacs are the best. It is strong, it is spacious (I wanted to start a poll about the sex in the car but thought folks would get wrong impression of me ;) ). Well, the car let me down a couple of times, but thanks God I was able to fix everything myself. I did o couple of driving mistakes all new drivers do and hit the car a few times. The first accident: took the car to New York City beeing behind the wheel just fot FOUR days! You know those crazy NYC cub drivers right? So I was back to "country side" with smashed grill and headlight! No roblem, fixed everything right away and took the car for ride to NYC next weekend. No accidents - because I have learned to be AGRESSIVE in NYC.

Well, the car has some "improvements" - quick fixes (life is short) but still runs as crazy, and I do not want to give it up. I do not like the look of new caddies, so perhaps my next car will not be a Caddy. It's the reason I am going to stick with this one as long as he can take me :D

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Where in NE Penna are you, I was born in Philadelphia, and lived in Havertown. My whole family is still there. I NEVER drive in NYC and most always take the train there, I have to go there tomorrow to inspect a building downtown, I can not even think of driving, as not only driving but PARKING is the next problem.... I spent $37 plus tip to park about a month ago for only 2 or 3 hours.. OUCH....

If I were you I would take the AMTRAK to Penn Station and either take cabs or the subway. Dont take the subway however OFF HOURS only during the day in the Manhattan core area, I would not want to be responsible for any harm done to you! LOL...... Mike

Mike, yesterday I selebrated four year anniversary of my Seville 91! I have made 60kmiles since, had great and not that great times with him (I believe it is a boy!)

This car was my FIRST CAR! The company I have started with in this country gave me rental Ford Focus, but I am kinda guy who do not want to depend on anybody, so I bought this Caddy and drove two cars for s a couple of months. I wanted only an American car and after a little resaerch figured out Cadillacs are the best. It is strong, it is spacious (I wanted to start a poll about the sex in the car but thought folks would get wrong impression of me ;) ). Well, the car let me down a couple of times, but thanks God I was able to fix everything myself. I did o couple of driving mistakes all new drivers do and hit the car a few times. The first accident: took the car to New York City beeing behind the wheel just fot FOUR days! You know those crazy NYC cub drivers right? So I was back to "country side" with smashed grill and headlight! No roblem, fixed everything right away and took the car for ride to NYC next weekend. No accidents - because I have learned to be AGRESSIVE in NYC.

Well, the car has some "improvements" - quick fixes (life is short) but still runs as crazy, and I do not want to give it up. I do not like the look of new caddies, so perhaps my next car will not be a Caddy. It's the reason I am going to stick with this one as long as he can take me :D

I do not like the look of new caddies, so perhaps my next car will not be a Caddy. It's the reason I am going to stick with this one as long as he can take me

adallak,

Keep an eye on the new Northstar Pontiac . . . One of 'em might be yours in a few years. :D

Regards,

Warren

P.S. I think mine is a "him" also. When it's not raisin' hell, it's a perfect gentleman. It's never left me, never whined and never B-Eye-Itched at me. :D

EDIT: P.P.S. If you get TechTV keep an eye out for a Pontiac sponsored informercial titled "Secrets of The Stunt Drivers." I just caught it in the wee Sunday morning hours. Very cool. Heavy on new Pontiac info but also included a lot of stunt "secrets." GREAT footage!

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Warren,

I'll definitely keep an eye on those Pontiacs despite my eyes are preoccupied with my neighbour's Volvo or maybe herself <_>

we got off the topic

Phillip,

if you can do brake job yourself I would recommend replacing rotors. The front rotors for my car are just about $15-$30 each, so I just replace them with new ones every time I change the pads. that's it.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

adallak,

Yes, VERY off topic. Mea Culpa.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Archived