CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

overheating problem 92 eldorado

My 92 Eldorado is overheating. This has been going on for over a year. The car will run fine and then just over heat. I turn it off wait and then start the car and it will run fine for days. I have changed 4 waterpumps, radiator, 4 thermostat, hoses, heater core, fan switch, I flushed the system, put in the 6 tablets, you name it I have done it. CAN ANYONE HELP with this problem.

Is your coolant level going down ? I have a 92 Eldo that kept overheating too, but the level never dropped very much. Til the last time. It turned out to be a split in the heater control valve. It finally broke entirely or I'd have never found the problem.

Bob

I'm not sure where it is located. I believe you have a 4.9? and I sold my '92 manual. However, if you are loosing coolant, then it's probably something other than the sensor.

I was really shooting from the hip. Sounded like you replaced almost everthing so a bad sensor sounded logical but since you are loosing coolant I am sure that is somehow related. Have you pressure tested the system and/or pressurize the cylinders to check for a bad head gasket?

Ahh, this brings up a great story. Did I test for compresion? The answer is no. You see, I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, if I had a head leak, I would think It would get hot everytime. See, the car has great power and I see no white smoke from tail pipe. I can drive the car on the Interstate for miles with no problem, but let me go to the store for a gallon of milk. You see I paid this shop to do a head gasket job and they charged me. I found out latter after I replaced the timming chain and water pump gasket that no work had been done. I could see all the grime still on all the bolts. When I called him on it, he got all upset and said we had talked about not doing the work. I then told him is this was so, why did he charge me $500 for doing it. Anyway, this could be my problem but I have a hard to thinking this is so.

Jim

A couple of ideas..

Have you checked the integrity of the overflow tube from the rad to the overflow tank? If the line has a break it might be possible for the coolant to be lost rather than saved in the tank. How is the radiator cap itself? On my '93 Eldo the line runs under the battery area and a break might not be easily seen.

FWIW

loosing coolant might be a problem, but still does not explain everything. did you make a fan test. Just idle for a while and as soon the temp gets some 225 the both fans should start and bring the temp to some 212. By the way my radiator is 3/4 full because of couple of cracks on the upper part of one of tanks. the overflow reservuar is empty, but car neve gets overheated. It is cooler on highways (flat) and a bit hoter in the city which is understandable. Check the fans.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

FWIW- It's funny that you asked me that question, I did clean and replaced the tank and line. See I was thinking the same thing. Thanks

Armen- I have a fan in front of and behind the redaitor. Are you telling me that both fans are to be running? I thought the little fan infront was for the A/C. Feed me more info if you have it. I can't get anything from the BIG Dealer, they say just bring it in.

Jim

Armen- I have a fan in front of and behind the redaitor. Are you telling me that both fans are to be running? I thought the little fan infront was for the A/C. Feed me more info if you have it. I can't get anything from the BIG Dealer, they say just bring it in.

yes the both fans (in front of and behind the redaitor) should run simultaneously . they are the same size. make sure THE BOTH of them run.

Standing in front of the car looking straight back at the firewall. There's a heater hose that runs along the back of the rear rocker cover. About in the middle of the engine thjere's a plastic T in this hose, and you'll see a hose running from it toward the front of the engine. That T is the valve, and it gets brittle with age and heat. If you replace it, make sure you put it in right, it's directional. There's an arrow on it to show the flow though. They run about $15 at NAPA or most other common parets stores.

Bob

In reading your complaint, a thought comes to mind. You say the car runs fine, then overheats. You also mention that you replaced the radiator. I assume in doing so you must have removed the fans. Since you have a fan fore & aft of the radiator, one must pull in air and one must blow out air. Is it possible that you reversed the fans when reinstalling them? Logic being that the car runs fine til it heats up and requires cooling fans. When they come on they work in reverse and actually blow air away from the radiator rather than pulling it through. Just a thought.

In reading your complaint, a thought comes to mind. You say the car runs fine, then overheats. You also mention that you replaced the radiator. I assume in doing so you must have removed the fans. Since you have a fan fore & aft of the radiator, one must pull in air and one must blow out air. Is it possible that you reversed the fans when reinstalling them? Logic being that the car runs fine til it heats up and requires cooling fans. When they come on they work in reverse and actually blow air away from the radiator rather than pulling it through. Just a thought.

Larry, I do not think it should make any difference...

Man you guys are great. Ok, the fan infront is smaller than the one next to the block. you can't put them in wrong due to the fact that the motor of the fans would hit the fins on the radiators. I don't think the one in front is comming on. I have never seen it on anyway. But get this, my daughter used the car yesterday and I don't think she pulled over when it got hot and now I have a slight nocking under the rear valve cover. As if I need any more problems.

Now check this out. I took my fuse cover off to see if the contacts on the fuses were bad they were and I cleaned them. I found a wire comming from the center relay switch under the fuse holder going upto a ground crew in the frame, this is something that someone has but on. When I removed the wire the noise under the valve cover got louder ( I think it is comming from the valve cover) when I hooked it back up you could hardley hear it. any ideas?

I talked to my daughter she said she never let the engine get over 240 ( she was not to drive the car at all, but she thought it's only 12 miles to tan, what can it hurt). Can you tell me what the 3 relays under the fuse holder are? From left to right. Does the chiltons manual show all the fuses?.

On the "t" I did check the condition of it and looks great. I changed the hose from "t" to thermostat though. and little hose down below next to front wheel.

Thanks again, Jim

Ok, the fan infront is smaller than the one next to the block. you can't put them in wrong due to the fact that the motor of the fans would hit the fins on the radiators. I don't think the one in front is comming on. I have never seen it on anyway

OK, lets first address the fan issue. I never saw the fans running separately. If something wrong with one of your fans it could definitely cause problems. Make a simple test:

1.Keep Eng. Data button on your DIC depressed so that it would alwasys show Coolant Temp.

2. Idle the engine till it fets 225 plus. It's the temperature when my fans turn on (both!) and bring the temp to 212. Then the fans just cicle on-off-on-off keeping the temp between 212 and 225.

3. If the ambient temp does not allow the engine get 225 while idling take it for a short drive up a hill or so and keep your eye on the DIC. If it gets 225 and keeps going up - something wrong with your fans or at least one of them. stop the car without turning the engine off , get safely out of the car and check the both fans.

Let's fix your oveheating problem first. My valves make noise during a few minutes until the temp gets some 100 degrees it does not make me upset.

Those are some great ideas, thank you. I have changed out cap and it is like you described with spring and disk. What happens is when the engine gets hot it pushes the coolant into the overflow and then the overflow overflows. I think after reading all this, I have a bad fan. The one infront I have never seen come on.

Jim

Jim,

EVERYTHING Guru says makes perfect sense (you seem to be new and perhaps do not know that Guru is our most respected Northstarologist and 4.9literologist LOL), but check the fans first since it's easy. If your front fan indeed does not turn on, check for mechanical problem in other words some debris preventing it from running (of course it would kill the motor). Then I would check the continuity with an ohmmeter. Just make sure you disconnect the fan otherwise you can damage the PCM with ohmmeters voltage. Then check the voltage which feeds the fan. Make sure the second one is running during the test. And be careful fans are quite unpredictable, no injuries please!

Ok you guys. I checked the fans and they both work. I drove it to work today and it overheated on me. I drove 3 miles to get out of town, 10 miles on hiway and then 1/4 mile to work. It overheated just befor I pulled in to driveway at work. Let me tell you what I did. I sold it, thats wright, there on the spot for $1000.00. I have spent to much time and money on it.

Thanks for everything, I would like to have the information you were going to send of the fan ckt.

Jim

Hmmm, too bad I would have bought it from you! My guess is that you did not have a 50/50 mix of coolant since it was backing up into the resevour. There were not too many more things that you could have done other than flush the system. Maybe but I doubt it you had a head gasket problem where compression/exhaust was leaking into the coolant and heating it but you would have had a rough engine. So many odd things can happen however, I have seen the lower hose collapse if the spring was removed. Maybe you were filling the radiator wrong. It usually takes ONE warm up cooling cycle for the cooling system to stabilize. When the system is dry, you fill up the radiator and put the cap on, once the thermostat opens the radiator is depleted and must be refilled. Oh well, Too bad... Problem is now someone elses I guess

COPY AND PASTE ONLY the following URL into your browser. Once you get to the website, scroll down a bit and download the section for Cooling and Radiator. It's a PDF format file. Do NOT click the link below, COPY AND PASTE ONLY.

http://www.geocities.com/girlperson2/

I scanned the 15 pages of the chapter for Cooling and Radiator from the 1992 Seville/Eldorado Service Manual. Hope it helps.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Archived