CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Would you buy it?

Romey-Rome

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...2475446523&rd=1

Very high milege...I've never owned one past 150k

I'm in the market for a 2000-2002 DeVille, although I'm not considering this one, it'd be interesting to see what others think.

I would buy it after being thoroughly inspected by a mechanic and auto body shop of my choice.

Are you the seller?

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

No, I'm shopping around for one....Saw this one and was like.."darn, thats almost how much I paid for my '94 Concours"

e-mail the seller and tell them you would be interested but the sale is contingent upon the vehicle passing a successful mechanical and automotive bodyshop inspection. See what they say. If they are honest, they would have no objection to these requirements. If they balk, look for a used Caddy where you live and forget e-bay. I know a few people who got royally screwed buying cars on e-bay. You really can't tell by looking at pictures what the car is all about. Only very detailed inspections and testing can do that.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I guess I'm too picky,...I can't imagine buying a car "site unseen", at any price.

That's not being picky, it's being wise. Unless you are the type of person who can throw money away, buying a car without a full mechanical and automotive body inspection is doing just that; throwing your money away.

Personally, I would NEVER buy a car with that kind of milage on it. Too big of a gamble, inspection or not, and the odds are not in your favor.

I dont really want a car with that high a milage but as far as e bay and the seller if you do a carfax and check the sellers feedback and call the seller have him do a walk around the car while you are on the phone might want to ask him to give you the previous owners telephone no. so you can talk to him also find out if it is a cadillac trade in etc There are a no. of thinks you can do. Buying a car from you local dealer is also risky you dont know what his feedback is or where he got the car (at a auction maybe.) WHATEVER YOU DO EXPECT SOME REPAIRS AND DONT WHINE IF THERE ARE.

Well, Like I said I'm not even thinking about this one. I always thought cars over 200k were dead in one way or another. I thought maybe things have changed. I can't buy what I want locally...I live in Oregon (sorry broke state), and Cadillac doesn't seem to be the car of choice here. The one I have now I only bought because I was sick of looking. Car shopping is only fun for the first few days. So basically settled on E-Bay, but I'll have all my ducks in a row when I'm ready to buy. And I'll be sure to secure a way out of the deal if any discrepancies are found. I'll probably wait till summer when gas hits $3+ and everybody wants to get rid of their V8s... ;)

Well, Like I said I'm not even thinking about this one. I always thought cars over 200k were dead in one way or another. I thought maybe things have changed.

Things have changed. Back in the 60's & 70's you where probably lucky to get 100K. Now 200K is not out of the question at all. I recall a few on this board with 300+. However I would not be buying one with 225K.

My uncle had a 90 Deville he ran to 250k. Mostly weekly hi-way back and

forth from Fla. to NY. The AC died in 98 and he gave it to his son.....

He bought a used 96 Brougham RWD and it has about 200k on it now.

Hes a tightwad...Buys them used and run them into the ground !!!!!!!!

Me.......I keep them 5 yrs or so to 100k miles and trade them !!!!!!!

That Deville on E-Bay was a livery car and a base model to boot.

No sunroof either! Suprised it don't have cloth interior !

40k new........NO WAY....... Only options I see are the Chrome wheels

and leather ! (2000 was the last year for cloth interior)

My 03 base Deville with roof, chromies, Bose, Pearl paint, bun warmers,etc.

was $45K sticker !

That 200 is worth $2000 ALL DAY LONG at a car auction house !.........geo

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

FYI.......In todays Syracuse paper.....2000 Devilles 37k miles and up $13,995

Choice of 3 at a local Caddy dealer. Ya gotta figure THEY paid around 10k

each at auction !

And that guy wants 8k ? LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

darn...See, that same 2000 DeVille would be about 18k or more here.

While we're on the subject of cars being cheaper on the east coast...Is it true that it's because they rust fast over there? That's what one dealer told me, so that's what I'm going on. And if that's true, what states are the problem states?

Here's some local dealer prices. And that is why I am going E-Bay.

Private Sellers.

Any place where salt is used to clear roads of snow and ice is where you will find rust on vehicles and exhaust systems.

I'm also told places where cars are near salt water oceans also have a problem with rusting but not to the extent of cars that are exposed to road salt.

There is an example right here on this board in the sell section of a reasonably priced Deville: http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=202

Now it's up to you to get the mechanical history and to personally inspect it or order a Pep boys or similar inspection that meets your satisfaction. With cheap airfares available you can fly transcontinental for under $300 bucks with a little planning. (Use half the ticket and toss the other half if you buy the car, if you get there and it is a bust - you have the ticket to come home with)

This particular car is in Florida, a long way from Oregon yes, but Fl will have a ton of good useds Caddy's for sale, as would Arizona or Nevada. Take a road trip, make it into a mini vacation - find a good car, pay $100-200 to have it carefully inspected and then enjoy a fun road trip back home. From the sounds of it you would be thousands ahead.

E-Bay can be a good source for a clean used car, many are sold through wholesalers, but often records are available. In some cases the car is being sold by the original owner. There are all flavors. In the end buying any car is part homework, part emotional (I LIKE this car...) and part a crap shoot. Even the cleanest car with the best inspection can develop a problem the following month. Unless you buy new or have another warrantee there is no gurantee - and if you can afford a new Caddy you are probably not part of this discussion - lol. Good luck finding something that you will like at a good price - it can be done.

Things have changed. Back in the 60's & 70's you where probably lucky to get 100K.

A '70s Cadillac running on unleaded fuel would easily cover well over 300,000 miles.

This particular car is in Florida, a long way from Oregon yes, but Fl will have a ton of good useds Caddy's for sale, as would Arizona or Nevada

Yeh...I drew a line at Texas. But yes, I've seen a lot of nice ones for good prices coming from AZ & NV.

Archived