CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Injector cleaner

scottt

I have used some Techtron (sp) BEFORE I read about the damaging effect these cleaners can have on the fuel pump. The heavy duty solvents can eat through the insulation on the wire of the fuel pump armatures. Todays gasolines contain cleaners that should keep the injectors clean. I don't add any cleaners to the tank.

rek

I feel the same as REK regarding the injector cleaner I used Techron also, however from all the reading and based on Guru's warnings I have stopped using injector cleaner. The only time I would consider it would be on a FULL tank and if I was going on a trip where I ran the tank down quickly, and THEN I would NOT used the LARGE bottle of Techron that is available. I might even consider spitting the bottle 1/2 going and 1/2 coming and in both instances on FULL tanks. However as REK noted many of the gas companies already put cleaner in... DRIVE CLEAN, etc.... I think CITCO does also.... Be careful with it, Mike

Early on sailors navigated by the stars at night and the North star became the symbol for finding ones way home. Once you know where the Northstar is you can point your ship in the right direction to get home. So the star became a symbol for finding ones way home or more symbolically even finding ones path in life.

Watch/listen to the STP injector cleaner commercial. They say " a clean injtr. is better than a dirty one. So use STP.... ect."

Beacuse of getting smacked by the FTC for truth in advertising they dont say STP actually cleans anything.

Thats good enough for me. If they cant say it, I cant buy it.

what about the injector cleaner they offer at the oil change places that hooks up to your vacuume line, it usualy comes in a 3 pack there (oil add, gas add, and vac hookup additive?

what about the injector cleaner they offer at the oil change places that hooks up to your vacuume line, it usualy comes in a 3 pack there (oil add, gas add, and vac hookup additive?

Snake oil....... desinged to clean your wallet more than your injectors. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I get my injectors cleaned with a pro unit that hooks to the shraeder valve. This is the system that requires your fuel pump be disabled and it doesn't contact the pump or tank at all. I've done this routinely at about 20k mile intervals for about 20 years now. Works well and causes no problems. ;)

If you can show me the direct route from vacuum line through an injector I will take all 8 on buns with mustard, and enjoy it! ;)

The detergent that is already in all the gas you buy is more than enough to keep your injectors clean. Save your money, If you have any left after filling up with gas now-a-days! LOL

I disagree! I have seen plenty of injectors that dripped or sprayed a stream. Once they were cleaned the pattern came back to normal! ;)

The one time I used inj. cleaner on my '92, it started to run like crap almost immediately, and shortly after blew a head gasket. I doubt that the cleaner alone would cause a head gasket to go, but it turned me away nonetheless. 92 octane is clean enough for me & my Caddy.

Pressure cleaning injectors through the Shraeder valve will NOT, repeat, NOT hurt anything in your car, period! If you guys feel that the gas you pump at the local Ya-Hoo Mart will keep your injectors clean long term, I have some tropical property on the coast of Alaska for sale! :rolleyes:

PS: Most canned or bottled cleaners aren't worth fooling with and may damage the fuel pump or O-rings in some cases. ;)

Randy the discussion here was related to Techron type products, I am not sure about the process you are talking about, but the add to the tank products can damage the fuel pump windings as you say. Where do you get the type of service you are talking about done and what are the specifics? Thanks, Mike

Early on sailors navigated by the stars at night and the North star became the symbol for finding ones way home. Once you know where the Northstar is you can point your ship in the right direction to get home. So the star became a symbol for finding ones way home or more symbolically even finding ones path in life.

Most quality shops can do it, they pull the fuel pump fuse or relay. They connect the hose from the cleaning unit to the Shraeder valve or dissconnect the quick coupler at the fuel rail and tie in there. The cans are connected to the unit much like freon to the a/c charger is, the car is started and the valves are opened. The car is run on the cleaner unit until it shuts down. Everything is re-connected and you are ready to go with clean injectors. This process,while not a replacement for other procedures, will often clean the combustion areas very nicely. ;)

Randy, What do "combustion areas" consist of in reality? An injector cleaner, fed through the fuel line, will in fact clean the inside of the injectors. If they are fouled with some type of gummed up fuel or something (not common). It is not the typical alcohol based chemical that one would buy over the counter at the local parts store, is it? Nor will it return an injector damaged by corrosion or heat or wear back to a normal condition. Once it goes into the combustion chamber and is burned, does it keep on cleaning? Sorry if I sound a little skeptical, I am. I know Ford has had a kit like the one you describe for many years. I don't know the exact failure mechanism that it was supposed to cure however.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

It is strictly to clean injectors, it will not 'fix' anything, but dirty injectors and sometimes minor carbon build up, but that is off label. Many times problems are blamed on all sorts of things, when often it's just dirty injectors (which in fact is fairly common). They will drip or spray a stream instead of properly atomizing the fuel. Thus at times causing poor idle quality, sluggish performance and a drop in fuel economy. If you have a mechanical problem, this procedure will not fix it. ;)

Archived