CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

trunk pull down problem

GOOB

When I bought the car 2 weeks ago, the seller told me that there was a problem with the motor and that I would have to slam the trunk to close. So yesterday I decided to investigate and see exactly what the problem is. After pulling the carpet back on the bottom, I found that the motor was unplugged so I assumed...easy fix, just plug it back in. Well, when I do this, it just runs continuously after I pop the trunk...and I still have to slam the trunk to close.

Help Please

Thanx in advance

The lower switch is probably bad. Unplug the motor and chach the switch contacts with an ohm-meter.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The switch on top is about $13.00, I thought that was my trouble, but it did not work. It might be the switch on the bottom. It flips the motor off and on, to raise or lower the lid.

The motor on the bottom is the one running. It stops when I use my hand to push down on the black tab that lets it know the trunk is closed. If i take it off, what exactly am I looking for when I check it?

careldo is correct - the top switch is most likely the problem - a very easy fix.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Open the trunk lid look carefully at the latch area you will see a small lever type switch look at what position the lever is at if it is up bring it down if the internal switch contacts are ok then the motor will stop now you know for sure the lever is sticking and creating your problem.If it doesn't it could still be the swictch because of bad contacts.To replace the switch there are two little screws to remove and then disconnect the pigtail.Buy a new one reattach and you should be good.

I went out and screwed with is now it's worse. There is a very noticeable gap around the edges orf the trunk that wasn't there before. The little lever on the lid is in the down position. I connected the BOTTOM motor again and moved the lever up and down on the LATCH ASSEMBLY ON THE LID...nothing. After re-examining the bottom motor I noticed that the "catch" that actually pulls the trunk down is in the up position. I tried pushing on it with the motor connected and running and I could here the motor bogging down but it would not pull down.

What next?

I would test the upper switch before buying a replacement. It is probably bad but.....

If you unplug the electrical connector to the upper switch and the motor does not run continuously, then the upper switch is probably bad. While the switch is disconnected, check the switch contacts with an ohm meter. There should be infinite resistance with the switch in the open position and zero resistance when the switch is in the closed position.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived