CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

air bag light

JTK

I took out my passenger seat, but now I have an air bag light. I was expecting it since I have a side impact air bag located on the side of the seat. I was wondering if anyone knew the signal that tells my car that there is an air bag. Is it a short, or a resitance?? if it is a resistance than could you please let me know what it is? I will look into my self, which i think it can figure out, but if someone already knows than it could save me some trouble. thanks. oh i have 2000 STS

Its based on resistance. GM never publishes the resistance value. I think they dont really want people running around and plugging resisters in the harness as a quick fix. Also...using a DVOM to measure the resistance value on a airbag....will often cause deployment.

Anyways....I think this may be the code your getting....for a missing side impact bag...

DTC B0078 RF/Passenger SIS Malfunction

Circuit Description

The RF/passenger inflatable restraint side impact sensor (SIS) deployment loop is a 2 wire circuit. When you first turn ON the ignition, the inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) performs tests to diagnose critical malfunctions within itself. The SDM provides input power to the SIS. When input power is first detected, the SIS responds by performing internal diagnostics. Next the SIS sends an ID message to the SDM. The SDM will consider this to be a valid ID if the response time is less than 5 seconds after the SIS is powered up.The SIS will continually communicate a status message to the SDM. The SDM can reset the SIS by removing and applying power to it.

Conditions for Running the DTC

Ignition 1 voltage is within the normal operating voltage range.

RF SIS loop is not shorted to voltage.

RF SIS loop is not shorted to ground.

The SDM monitors the inflatable restraint side impact sensor (SIS) loop with the power on.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The SDM has detected one of the following conditions due to a fault in the SIS interface circuit:

A valid ID message is not received within 5 seconds of the SIS being powered up.

Status message is not received

The SDM has failed twice to reset the SIS.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The SDM commands ON the AIR BAG warning lamp via Class 2 serial data.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

The SDM has detected correct operation.

The SIS sends a OK message to the SDM.

You can issue a CLEAR CODES command

A history DTC will clear once 255 malfunction free ignition cycles have occurred

Diagnostic Aids

The following can cause an intermittent condition in the inflatable restraint side impact sensor (SIS) circuit :

A short to ground or short to voltage.

High resistance or low resistance.

Inspect the inflatable restraint side impact sensor high and sensor low circuits carefully for cutting and/or chafing

If any of the above conditions are found refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections in Wiring Systems.

Test Description

The number(s) below refer to the step number(s) on the diagnostic table.

This step checks the inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) connector.

This step checks the resistance between the RF/passenger SIS (Side Impact Sensor) side sensor circuit and the RF SIS side sensor return circuit.

This test checks the RF SIS side sensor circuit for a short to voltage.

This step checks the RF SIS side sensor return circuit for a short to voltage.

This step checks the RF SIS side sensor return circuit for a short to ground.

This step checks the RF SIS side sensor circuit for a short to ground.

This step checks for an open in the RF SIS sensor circuit.

This step checks for an open in the RF SIS sensor return circuit.

Archived