CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Car seems to "Shudder" over bumps

Rickster

This happens ever once and a while. If you hit a pot hole or bump in the road it feels like the whole car is loose. It dose'nt jump all over the road but it feels like a shudder that goes through the car. No real noise or rattle but it feels as if the whole drive trian is loose. Engine mounts? Tranny mounts?

Anyone else feel this.

Any ideas.

Rick

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

This happens ever once and a while. If you hit a pot hole or bump in the road it feels like the whole car is loose. It dose'nt jump all over the road but it feels like a shudder that goes through the car. No real noise or rattle but it feels as if the whole drive trian is loose. Engine mounts? Tranny mounts?

Anyone else feel this.

Any ideas.

Rick

Tire pressure?

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Hey Rickster,

I am trying to find the cause of the same condition

in my '99 STS. Yesterday someone explained

how their stab link was shot, but you couldn't tell

from outward appearances. I keep thinking

mine is related to a piece of rear suspension, since

it tends to 'finish' at the rear. Start pulling on parts

under the car, jack up the tires and wiggle them,

have someone else turn the steering wheel while

you have your hand on the tires. I feel it must be

something small. My first course of action is stablinks

and stab bushings, which all seem fine. Alignment seems

to change the characteristics dramatically. Last time the

alignment felt much better, however, the technician said he

could find nothing amiss. I think when all is perfectly aligned,

the condition practically disappears, because it is in balance.

My power steering seems funny sometimes. It will tug at you

on low speed turns, but not always. The fluid smells bad. Plan to

put in new fluid next. Good Luck! Let us know how you make out.

jim

Thanks for the replies so far. Struts should be fine. Had upper mounts and bearings done just a short while back. Tire pressure is also as recommened by tire manufacturer and the experts on this board.

Now after reading CaddKing's post, it raises a question. Having ones hand on the tire while turning the steering wheel with car not running, there is some slack. Pointed this out to the dealer a while back and he said this was normal. I did not beleive him so I took it to a mechanic freind and showed him. He said wheel bearing right away. Took back to dealer and sure enough, the left front bearing and assembly was shot so they replaced. But the slack is still there when turning the steering wheel and holding the tire.

I think this is the problem but have no idea what it could be. Looking back on my service record, it looks like they did do the stab bar bushings a while back when I was complaining about looseness. They also replaced the tie rod ends.

What else could it be?

Rick

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

When the rear wheel alignment is off it can "yaw" over bumps or road irregularities. Another old post talked of a problem with the SRS sensors on the rear wheels. One mount was slightly bent which caused a difference in trim from the left to the right side of the veh and was making the car overly sensitive to the SRS system/sensors. In that thred readjusting the bent sensor mount cured the problem. Two other things to consider.

Thanks Maddog. I was thinking of taking her in for a 4 wheel alignment on Tuesday to see what that does. It almost feels like it is triggered by the front but we will see on Tuesday. Will post back

Rick

If you have a good relationship with your service shop they may be willing to check the alignment for you and only charge you if in fact it is off and they have to correct it.

As a new Seville owner, now having had some suspension and tire issues to work through, and after reading many posts on this board I have come to the conclusion that Sevilles are pretty sensitive to things like tire balance and roundness, wheels being true, alignment being right, and having tight suspension components.

I don't know if it is true that other cars are more forgiving in these areas or if it is because these cars ride and handle so well that you notice the small problems more easily. Bottm line seems to be that you do have to stay on top of all these areas if you want the car to ride and handle at it's best.

OK. Took the care in for a 4 wheel alignment today and the guy wouldn't do it yet because he found a shot left lower tie rod end. Taking her in Thursday to have that replaced with front end alignment under warenty and then back to get the rear aligned. Hope tht will do it. Will post back.

Rick

Well I hope it's all done. Because my warenty runs out soon. Here's a list of the work that has been done on the front end in the last 16 months. (all under warenty)

1. Transaxel mount R&R

2. Link and or Link bushings R&R

3. Front engine mount R&R

4. Tie rod ends and sleves R&R

5. RRS R&R front right sensor

6. Front rotors turned

7. Left front bearing and assembly R&R

8. Front strut mounts and bearings R&R

9. Lubricated intermediate steering shaft TSB

10. Front lefttie rod end and sleve R&R

11. 4 wheel alignment

12. Hunter GSP 7900 wheel balace

She's running pretty smooth now. I have come to the conclusion that you have to stay on top of the front end maintance if you want her running perfect. The good out of all of this is the $3,000 of parts and labour cost me nothing and I have practicly a new front end that should last a while.

I am choosing not to go with an extended warenty. Can't seem to part with the $3,000. I've looked after her well so it's time she paid me back.

Ya. It was a fair bit of work but I'm very anal about handleing. The dealer was pissed at me but they finaly figured out if they wanted to get rid of me, they should do the work. I think most of it was'nt needed. It's funny, the one fix that helped the most was the cheapest and one of the last things they did. Lubeing the steering shaft. But like I said, I have a front end that's like new and I did'nt have to pay for it. Also the dealer was very good to me and they did do quailty work.

Archived