CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

R & R of NS Oil Pump

I have been trying to restore oil pressure in my '93 Northstar, but have had no such luck with the crankcase oil overfill trick (to prime the pump). Tomorrow night I will pull the oil filter and try turning it over, as a last resort to clear the relief valve, or whatever else may be cuasing the problem.

If this does not work, my only choice is to perform an exploratory, and if I have to do that, I might as well replace the oil pump with a new one.

For planning purposes, does anyone have an estimate of shop $$ or personal manhours they expended replacing the oil pump from behind the front cover. Also, did you go through the wheel well, and have to remove the A/C dryer and/or power steering pump?

For planning purposes, does anyone have an estimate of shop $$ or personal manhours they expended replacing the oil pump from behind the front cover. Also, did you go through the wheel well, and have to remove the A/C dryer and/or power steering pump?

I would say that you need to leave yourself about 3 hrs to do the job. You do go through the wheel well, you will need a way to remove the crankshaft bolt as it's very tight. I use an impact wrench, but even then, you need a powerful impact with good air supply. You also need a 3 jaw puller in order to get the crank pulley off. You don't need to remove the power steering pump or a/c compressor, but you do need to remove the serpentine belt tensioner and idler pulley. Then it's a simple matter of removing the front cover bolts, front cover and then the oil pump. It's held on by 3 bolts and slides right off the crankshaft.

Ian

Nice Kar

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Archived