CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Trunk pulldown

Chris

When I bought the car, I was told that the trunk pulldown motor worked but a switch was broken or something. Because I almost never use the trunk, I've never bothered to investigate.

Yesterday I pulled the carpet back from around the latch (on the base of the car). There are two wires that look like they plug into the pulldown unit, but I cant find any connectors on the unit.

On both the lid and base, there are what look like motors. How exactly does the mechanism work? And where do these two harnesses plug in?

Looks like I forgot to take a picture of it, I'll post one tommorrow.

Thanks

-Chris

The best thing to do is take the bottom motor out, take it apart and screw up (or down) the latch to the right level to make the trunk shut manually. You can do this until you find a replacement or fix what you have. The motors are about $200.00 a piece. If you take the bottom motor apart be carefull of the brushes. You need about three hands to get them back into place. The springs will retract and hook on the plastic until you put the cover on then you have to release the springs to put the brushes back in place, very tricky.

After throwing parts at my 92 Deville trunk, I gave up and now I slam it shut. There is a lot of info in the archives on this, check it out.

Rollingthunder

There is a lever in the trunk lid that senses whether the trunk lid is up or down. When the lid is up the trunk latch bar on the base of the trunk is extended by the motor. When the lid is closed the trunk latch is motored downwards. Make swure that the lever is not stuck in the trunk closed position.

Like Paul T, I also had a '92 Deville that the pull down quit working on. I removed it and carefully disassembled it, replaced the brushes and was back in buisness.

I had a similar problem in that the trunk lid would not pull down. I removed the microswitch (limit switch), from the base and sprayed it with electrical contact cleaner aerosol and actuated it dozens of times. I re-installed it, and it started working again, and has been working faithfully for about two years now. I did check the dealership and this switch was about $ 26, but luckily I did not hav to buy it. Check it first, before you start looking at the pull-down motor.

Here is a link for your pull down motor $59.95 , check this guy out for parts.

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Electrical/Cadill...PLP1710001/5061

Although I havn't used him I found him on ebay and has over 45300 sells with a 99.7% positive rating so he should be good. also sells gm parts not all after market stuff, I was looking a window motor when I found him and he has them for 59.95 brand new gm same part no as the dealer.

Jeff

Many times the motors are fine. It is just the switch that detects if the trunk is open or closed that goes bad. This is very easy to replace without disrupting the motor at all.

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

Archived