CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2001 STS Front Hub Noise

kozakvod

I guess none of us ever want to post here because of a problem, and yet here I am. I have an '01 STS with approximately 80k miles. While we've not had many problems at all with the car, a series of problems seem to be creeping in lately. The latest and one of most concern for me is this:

The drivers side front hub had been making a "grinding" noise of sorts as speed increased. Took it in, and it was shown to me that the hub was locking up and if not for the pure weight of the car, it would turn at all. Okay, so I bought a new hub from the parts store ($149) had it replaced and for a while, all is good. It is now beginning to make the same noise again.

Did I buy a cheap hub or is there something more going on that is causing the problem?

Also, I ran a check on the in dash codes and came up with the following:

ABS C1287 - I'm thinking that this might be related to the hub problem I am having, anyone with a thought?

IPM U1016 - No idea what this is.

DIM B1324 - Again, no idea what this is.

I did reset everything and I'll keep an eye on them.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

I guess none of us ever want to post here because of a problem, and yet here I am. I have an '01 STS with approximately 80k miles. While we've not had many problems at all with the car, a series of problems seem to be creeping in lately. The latest and one of most concern for me is this:

The drivers side front hub had been making a "grinding" noise of sorts as speed increased. Took it in, and it was shown to me that the hub was locking up and if not for the pure weight of the car, it would turn at all. Okay, so I bought a new hub from the parts store ($149) had it replaced and for a while, all is good. It is now beginning to make the same noise again.

Did I buy a cheap hub or is there something more going on that is causing the problem?

Also, I ran a check on the in dash codes and came up with the following:

ABS C1287 - I'm thinking that this might be related to the hub problem I am having, anyone with a thought?

IPM U1016 - No idea what this is.

DIM B1324 - Again, no idea what this is.

I did reset everything and I'll keep an eye on them.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Let me first welcome you. Th emost decisive test for a bad hub bearing is making zigzags (S) and listening to the noise. If it gets louder when you turn to right it is most likely your left hub. Same applies toi the other side.

As far as I know the speed sensor is an integral part of the hub on your car, and it is a sensor providing data to the ABS system. It might be a problem. When my hub went south the sensor (a magnet) would grind the tooth whell. You might want to look at it as well. Do not overlook a bad ball joint either. Lift the front of the car, grab the tire and see if it has any play in horizontal and vertical directions. Report back what you find.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

C1287 Steering Sensor Rate Malfunction

U1016 Loss of Class 2 Communication with PCM

B1324 A/C Refrigerant Overpressure

ABS - anti-lock braking system

IPM - instrument panel module

DIM - dashboard integration module

The speed sensor on the new hub isn't hooked up, apparently. The A/C is overcharged; I would expect that code to come from the ACM. I believe that the A/C holds only two pounds of Freon.

If the U1016 is a History code, don't worry about it unless you clear it and it comes back quickly and consistently. This code gets set occasionally on just about any car because there are lots of modules on only two data lines and occasionally two of them talk at once. If it gets set all the time, you have a wiring problem. If so, watch for issues with the purple wire.

You can set C1287 by wagging the steering wheel. The code means that the rate at which the steering wheel is turning exceeds the rate expected by the chassis control system yaw rate sensors and accelerometers. You probably set that code when you were testing the hub for noise.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Could just be the hub bearing going on the other side. Doing S turns will confirm that as Adallak mentioned. Is the grinding noise present while driving straight, steering left, or steering right?

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Archived