CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

95 Deville- Code 039 and no TC Lockup

kad3338

I recently bought a ’95 Sedan Deville w/113k miles and 4.9. It runs and drives great, except that it’s throwing the P039 code, TCC problem. The torque converter does not lock up at all at highway speeds, it shifts fine through all four gears real smooth, but the service engine light always comes on after a few minutes of driving with that code. I noticed the prev owner had the trans serviced (probably flush n’ fill) at BG transmissions at 80k. The fluid looks and smells fine. Any ideas if this is worth taking a look at, I was thinking of draining off a quart of fluid and adding a Lucas additive, but with no lockup currently not sure if that would do anything. I could live with this, just wondering if there’s an easy fix to try.

Check the brake pedal disengage switch for proper adjustment and a good connection. Then do a search for TCC. It has been discussed before.

The TCC lock-up pevents torque converter slip at cruising speeds, thereby improving gas milage. The service engine light can be anoying, but the only functional negative is slightly more gas consumption on the highway. My '94 Eldorado would set this code from time to time. I just cleared it and carried on. Yours sounds more cronic than mine was, however. I would check the disengage switch as Ranger suggested, but it's not worth taking the transmission apart to repair the clutch if thats the problem. ;)

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Archived