CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Engine Info

Marcus815

I'm sorry about all the questions, but I've been trying to figure this out for a long time now. According to the original owner's manual I have a 4.9L V8 200HP Engine (Photo Below). However, I can find no other documentation to verify this other than the fact that when I open the hood the engine underneath looks a lot like the one in the manual. Also, many of the Inspection sheets that I have from previous inspections state that I have the 4.6L 300HP NorthStar Engine. I did some research and can conclude no definite date to steer me in the proper direction of which engine I have, as my car appears to have been manufactured during the time when they were making the switch from the 4.9L engine to the 4.6L NorthStar engine. The car mechanic that the car has been going to for years has told me that my car has a 4.9L Engine that is probably 300HP, because he said, and I quote, "It would be unlikely for a 4.9L engine on this type of car to have only 200HP". Yet I cannot find any documentation in my manual, online or on these forums that states that a 4.9L 300HP engine even exists for my caddy. I don't know a heck of a lot about cars, so maybe I'm reading this incorrectly. Anyhow, I posted a picture of what's under the hood so maybe someone can tell me once and for all what I have under there and how much power it's got. I mean, I can accelerate pretty fast, faster than most of the other cars my friends have, but It'd still be nice to know what's in there.

Thanks a lot,

Marcus

scanaf6.th.jpg

img1302dy4.th.jpg

In 1993 the Seville was available in base form with the 4.9L OHV engine, and in STS form with the 4.6L DOHC Northstar engine. Your engine is a 4.9L OHV, a very reliable, good engine. The engine in the picture is the 4.9L engine.

The 4.9L makes good torque, which is what gives good acceleration. For the first 30 feet or so the 4.9L will actually outaccelerate a NS engine in a similar car in my tests.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Ah, that would make sense. I have seen Cadillacs that look identical, and I mean identical, to mine, except for on the back instead of them saying "Seville" which is what mine says, they say "STS" or "SLS" which I take to be acronym's for Seville Touring Sedan and Seville Luxury Sedan (The Touring being the more performance oriented i've read). They also say "32 V NorthStar" which mine does not. So, I don't have an STS or an SLS, just a Seville?

Yes, almost. If you review the year by year page here: http://www.caddyinfo.com/sevilleyearbyyear.htm

in 92 the base Seville and the STS had the 4.9L

in 93 the STS got the new 4.6L NS, and the base Seville had the 4.9L

in 94 the base Seville was renamed SLS

in 95 the SLS got the 275hp NS

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Yes, almost. If you review the year by year page here: http://www.caddyinfo.com/sevilleyearbyyear.htm

in 92 the base Seville and the STS had the 4.9L

in 93 the STS got the new 4.6L NS, and the base Seville had the 4.9L

in 94 the base Seville was renamed SLS

in 95 the SLS got the 275hp NS

Actually, the '94 SLS received the 270 HP Northstar. In '95, the plastic intake was introduced which yielded an additional 5 HP.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

You definitely have the 4.9L 200HP V-8. It even says "4.9" on the air filter cover.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

Archived