CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

GM Steering Column Lock Plate Tool

Ranger

Anyone have a GM lock plate tool. I have to R & R a turn signal switch on my daughters '04 Grand Am and need to make one. Having done this years ago without one on a Blazer, I do not want to go through that again. I need the length of the legs and the distance between legs. Width would help but I can guess at that. I can get the dimensions I need when I get it apart, but making it in advance will save me some time.

Anyone have a GM lock plate tool. I have to R & R a turn signal switch on my daughters '04 Grand Am and need to make one. Having done this years ago without one on a Blazer, I do not want to go through that again. I need the length of the legs and the distance between legs. Width would help but I can guess at that. I can get the dimensions I need when I get it apart, but making it in advance will save me some time.

Larry,

I have one that I made - I'll try and post a picture with some dimensions later this evening. The height of the "U" legs needs only to clear the steering shaft stub as the loc plate only needs to be compressed less than 1/16" in order to remove the circlip.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Here is a picture of the tool I made several years ago. The "U" piece is 1/4" thick material 1" wide. The distance between the inside surfaces of the legs is 2-1/4" and the total height of the "U" is 6-1/4". I think it only cost a couple of bucks for the hardware and a scrap piece of steel. I bet the Kent-Moore tool goes for at least $150..... :lol:

The bolt is a standard size bolt - 1/2" fine thread I think. The hole in the U is a clearance hole for the bolt. I brazed on a metric nut (to fit the steering shaft stub) to the bolt head. If I were making the tool again, I'd weld the nut to the bolt but at the time, I didn't have my welder. After the steering wheel is removed, thread the brazed end onto the steering shaft and tighten the nut on the threaded end of the bolt enough to compress the lock plate.

post-45-1184640448_thumb.jpg

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks a million Kevin. That is a BIG help.

Re:Kent-Moore. They don't call them "Spent-More" for nothing. :lol:

Glad to help out. The last time I had a Kent-Moore moment was when I was removing the waterpump pulley on my STS during the Timesert process... I didn't realize the puller was just a power steering pulley puller until I noticed it in the other section of the manual. "Spent-Moore" wanted $105 for the tool and it was $20 at the local parts store...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 4 weeks later...

Well, much like the water pump socket I made, I now have another tool that I don't need .......yet. Turns out GM actually made something easy to service. All I had to do was remove 3 screws to get the column shroud off and then 1 screw to remove the switch. It actually straddles the column like a saddle. Did not have to pull the airbag or steering wheel. I was in and out in about :30 min. :yupi3ti:

Archived