CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

98 DEville Headliner sagging

My 98 Deville has a sunroof with a molded or press formed headliner that is sagging 3/4"' inch on the sides of roof opening and less in front of sunroof opening. What kind of glue is recommended to fix it right? I have to get this fixed so I can redo the disc brakes next and change the coolant and oil. I am taking it to the dealer for the oil and filter change since it is only 30.00. Any help is appreciated. Silvereagle :)

3M has a product for auto trim, "3M General Trim Adhesive", aerosol, and generally they make stuff that works. Here is a link to a site that has a nice pic; not intended as an endorsement.

http://www.autobarn.net/3mgetradcl.html

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

A $30 oil change is a $30 oil change, probably with bulk oil. What would a service station charge for top-line 10W-30 and a filter?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The Cadillac mechanic I talked to said they use Valvoline 10-30 and that is what I used when I added a quart. Ive had it about 3000 miles and it only used a little less than a quart so I guess that is good. I have never used Valvoline but I hear it is good. The mechanic told me not to use Mobile 1 synthetic oil because my car is was not a newer NS with the improved oil seals made for synthetic oil. Is that right? He said he had owned about 30 NS cars in the past. I have always changed my oil but I am in a lot of pain now, thats why I roll in a Cadillac. LOL Silvereagle :)

A $30 oil change is a $30 oil change, probably with bulk oil. What would a service station charge for top-line 10W-30 and a filter?

Jim,

I'm not sure exactly why you seem so offended by "bulk oil." I can almost hear the the disdain dripping off your tongue. ;) It seems to me that any sensible business person would purchase oft used products in "bulk." I know I do and did.

Antifreeze, for example, comes to mind. And what's hooked up to that grease gun? Gas Stations buy gasoline in "bulk" don't they?

Premium Castrol motor oil in bulk 50 gallon drums, to my knowledge, is no different than the stuff you buy at Auto Zone in those little one quart plastic containers (that the tree huggers call "environmentally unfriendly" :P ).

Is it your concern that those drums are being refilled with something other that what is advertised on the label? Kinda like our bartender creatively "replenishing" the scotch bottles?

I'm just trying to suggest that "bulk" is not a four letter word. Oh, wait . . . . :(

I don't see anything wrong with "bulk oil" as long as it is furnished by a reputable service dealer. Oil fraud, like everything else, is only one of many ways you might be defrauded. Heads up gang!

Regards,

Warren

EDIT: P.S. Oh yeah, headliners are important too: Whoops! Got a little OT there. Sorry.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

You can try to glue the fabric but the repair may not last because it is the foam between the fabric and the pressboard backing that breaks down and disintegrates. You can remove the headliner and have a trim shop repair it - that would be as close to new as you could get.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

My 2003 STS has some velcro-type of tape. It's not really velcro, but I don't know what it is. It's similar to velcro in that you just press the two halves together and it holds, just like velcro. The adhesive seems to be pretty strong. That way, you can still take off the headliner. It came this way from the factory.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

Archived