CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

WOT's -Cure Oil Burn off?

basod2002

Was reading some threads in the maintenance section and noticed Northstar oil consumption. First there is discussion of conventional oil vs. synthetics (have always run Mobil 1), and the idea that this "high performance" engine prefers conventional oil. Secondly, I was reading the process on WOT's 3rd gear from 40-70 ~8 times after thorough warmup. I did notice some carbon buildup in my intake and the STS goes through about 2.5gal between changes (never let the oil life indicator get past 75%) , but I usually reserve this kind of driving for my rental cars. Any input?

Was reading some threads in the maintenance section and noticed Northstar oil consumption. First there is discussion of conventional oil vs. synthetics (have always run Mobil 1), and the idea that this "high performance" engine prefers conventional oil.

Dino oil is just fine for front wheel drive Northstars.

Secondly, I was reading the process on WOT's 3rd gear from 40-70 ~8 times after thorough warmup. I did notice some carbon buildup in my intake and the STS goes through about 2.5gal between changes (never let the oil life indicator get past 75%) , but I usually reserve this kind of driving for my rental cars. Any input?

The WOT therapy should be done in 2nd gear. And it has nothing to do with intake buildup and everything to do with the combustion chamber. WOT is used in this case to create maximum pressure and vacuum to exercise the piston rings and allow them to float around in the ring grooves promoting a better oil seal. If you see a cloud in the mirror, you need to do more WOT (in 2nd gear).

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Do a search for WOT or cold carbon rap. You should find a lengthy explanation written by our old Guru (A GM powertrain engineer). If unable, I'll repost it for you.

Also some info gathered in the Caddyinfo How-To section http://www.caddyinfo.com/howto.html

on this page: http://www.caddyinfo.com/northstaroil.htm

Bruce

2016 Cadillac ATS-V gray/black

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Why can't Cadillac make the NS oil rings that hold like in 99% of other new engines?

Three hundred horsepower from 4.6 liters qualifies as a high performance engine. Check with your insurance agent. The powertrain engineers expected the engine to be wound up from time to time therefore the cylinder wall was finished with an aggressive pattern to enhance lubrication. That plus 32 valve guides leads to a little oil consumption.

I believe WOT must help but it is bad for gas mileage, tire wear, transmission, front drive axles. speeding tickets ect. Silvereagle

I doubt if you could see a difference in overall fuel economy with or without a once per week WOT burst.

Tire wear? How is that a factor?

The transmission and drive axles are bulletproof.

Speeding tickets? WOT in 2nd gear does not have to exceed 70 MPH. Just pick your time and place carefully.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Why can't Cadillac make the NS oil rings that hold like in 99% of other new engines?

Three hundred horsepower from 4.6 liters qualifies as a high performance engine. Check with your insurance agent. The powertrain engineers expected the engine to be wound up from time to time therefore the cylinder wall was finished with an aggressive pattern to enhance lubrication. That plus 32 valve guides leads to a little oil consumption.

I believe WOT must help but it is bad for gas mileage, tire wear, transmission, front drive axles. speeding tickets ect. Silvereagle

I doubt if you could see a difference in overall fuel economy with or without a once per week WOT burst.

Speeding tickets? WOT in 2nd gear does not have to exceed 70 MPH. Just pick your time and place carefully.

Eloquent Jim!

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Why can't Cadillac make the NS oil rings that hold like in 99% of other new engines? I believe WOT must help but it is bad for gas mileage, tire wear, transmission, front drive axles. speeding tickets ect. Silvereagle

All engines benefit from occasional application of WOT. The Northstar was designed for superior durability under periods of continuous, high specific output. In response to popular misconceptions, I understand various changes have been made to reduce oil consumption on average, but it is reasonable to expect that some compromises were made (internal friction and durability). In routine driving, WOT is significantly wasteful only if subsequent braking is required.

Who cares if it is needed or helps oil consumption, it sure is fun! Why drive a 300 HP car if you can't use it once and awhile? Not only that the thing will shift itself if you get carried away and forget to let off the pedal. Built bullet proof and smart enough to protect itself what else could you want?

Hi, don't get me wrong, I love my Cadillac and that is all I will ever own I have chronic hip back and neck pain, I like the Cadillac seats the most but the 93 FW had a softer seat than my 98 Deville. I guess I did not realize how much the newer Cadillacs are to maintain but I still like them. I drove Ford trucks a while and never worked on all 3 of them I had. Do the other makers of sports cars use a lot of oil, I realy do not know. Is there improvement that could be made to the valve guides with a harder steel and better valve seals? And as much technology as there is today I will never understand about the rings letting oil by. I am not a mechanic but have rebuilt 350, 283, 327, 455 and a 64 Corvair Spyder Turbocharged 150 HP and it leaked oil after the pushrod tube seals went bad, I rebuilt the engine and used Viton type o-rings that did not leak to fix that problem and it was 20 years ago didn't leak a drop. The Corvair must have been a high performance engine too, it was I think 164 CI with 150 HP and a factory turbo charger. I know my 98 Deville is the fastest car I ever had including a 71 340 Duster, 76 vette and 500ci eldo. I just hope Cadillac tries to make the NS use less oil because that is not what the average person wants in a luxury car especially a older retired person 70 and 80 year old people like my 86 YO dad would never own a car that he had to constantly watch the oil and coolant lever, he ownes a Mercury Marquis a god car too. The comment about WOT and tire and parts wear is easy to figure more friction= more wear and WOT more gas used =less gas mileage. Speeding tickets as in WOT, it is called exhibition of acceleration ticket. I am not putting Cadillacs down because I love them and the used cars are the best car for the money with comfort and safety that a smaller car can't give. Silvereagle

I am not a mechanic, can you please give me the meaning of bulletfroof? I really want to know I am just trying to learn. Do you mean that no NS transmissions and axles have ever had problems? thanks Silvereagle

Archived