CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

OT: removing drive shaft from transmission

Sorry for this post , but I can't seem to get any help at all and thought maybe someone would know the answer. I have to replace my drive shaft on my wifes '98 eclipse spyder. How do you get the shaft out of the transmission? on the new shaft, there looks to be a "C" clip around the gear spline. I would imagine that you pry the old shaft out and insert the other one and the "C" clip will lock it into place, but I am not positive. I am worried that the old "C" clip will come off inside the transmission while taking it out. Anyone else have this experience with their car that they could give me advice. I would MUCH rather work on my cadillacs than this car, it has been a complete PAIN IN THE A--!! Thanks.

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle

moved?? just asking for help.

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2000 Ford Ranger XLT

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD

1961 VW Beetle

Not a problem. Moved to off-topic for Cadillac, but with a link to here so that you also get the attention of those who ONLY read that section. All good.

Bruce

2016 Cadillac ATS-V gray/black

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

A C clamp definitely needs to be removed before the old unit will come out of the transmission without damage. The first thing I would do is get a good repair manual for this car. I have found Clymer to be good for Japanese motorcycles; their manuals rival the factory shop manuals for Honda and Suzuki. Haynes is good too, if less hands-on in their narratives. I did a web search for "Mistibushi shop manual 1998" and turned up lots of links. One led to this:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/performa...8&partid=91

These guys offer Chilton, Haynes, and HP. I would start at your local parts shop and look at the manuals there, and pick one that seems to be right for the job you are doing now.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

thanks, I got a service manual and it saved my butt. Just pryed it out with a bar.

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2000 Ford Ranger XLT

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD

1961 VW Beetle

Archived